Big Dave

I just helped a friend find and buy a 2003 Master Angler 17.  He is a "blue water" captain, running a privately-owned custom sport fishing yacht.  His home is in North Carolina, he's in Annapolis for the summer, but will be in SFL at Merritt from September through December. Question:  what are the pro's and con's of doing the paper work (title and registration, etc.) here in Florida versus North Carolina?  Can he use my home port for those purposes, or does he have to have a local address?

Some state allow u to register the boat if the boat if it is in the state the majority of the year. So yes he resides out of state but the boat stays so fl will get there dollars on the boat in there water. 

Again just call your tag office 

1 hour ago, mulligan said:

Yes but I do not believe tax on the motor or I should say that is the way it was not long ago.   

To my knowledge this is correct and how I've completed boat sales and purchases in Fl. Tax is only collected on the sale price of the hull. You can itemize the sale and tax will only be collected on the hull price, since the hull is what is being titled and registered. 

23 hours ago, conocean said:

He should register it to match his DL. My office is at Merritts, have your friend stop in to say hello. 

Thanks!  Will do--it's Captain Tom Ross.  He'll have a 70'+ Merritt at the boatyard for several months.  He's looking for an apartment or condo to rent also in case you know of anything in that area.  

Archived