Porpoising Redfisher

Nolezone

11 hours ago, Nolezone said:

Spoke with Marcus at Powertech this week and he gave me an exercise: Do 4-5 trials with my boat w/o using any trim tabs at all. Start on Jack Plate setting "0" (all the way down) with trim tabs all the way up (don't use them AT ALL!) and put the throttle tilt/trim switch in the all the way down position.

Do a hole shot and go all the way to wide open and chart top RPM and Speed results. Do the same thing at Jack Plate settings of 1-4 and chart the RPM's and Speeds for all trials.

After doing the trials, go back and go wide open again but this time use the throttle trim/tilt switch to adjust the results. What a difference! I found my fastest speed with in the Jack Plate position 3 with the engine trimmed up just slightly. I wasn't even using the Jack Plate before because of the bouncing I encountered at even 3300 RPMS. I thought I was going to throw myself out of the boat! Turns out I have a very fast boat (56mph @ 5800RPM's) that likes to run. The porpoising at mid-speed (28-34mph) is just something I have to get through. 

And my ideal cruising set up is Jack Plate setting 1, 4000 RPM's and 38mph. Now, which new prop to buy to really seal this deal...need you one more time Funky Monkey!

Thanks to Marcus at Powertech for helping me understand how all these components work with each other. I feel so much more confident now.

Selling the Solas?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, lurem said:

J.N. The PTC is a good prop, at least it was on my Ma 18.5, why not send it out and have it reconditioned and tuned up?

I would if I liked dealing with my local prop shop owner. I'd rather paddle a canoe vs seeing that guy.

14 hours ago, Moderator said:

"...Thanks to Marcus at Powertech for helping me understand how all these components work with each other. I feel so much more confident now."

Marcus is incredible... He didn't sell you a prop,  but he spent the time to teach you how to trim your boat..  He has a history of helping people enjoy their boats more..

Glad you figured out the three trim systems on your skiff.  Your Solas prop performs really well !!

Mod M

Thanks to Marcus and ALL those who chimed in. Feels like family!

3 hours ago, Nolezone said:

I guess since I’ve dialed the Solas in for now, I’ll keep it. I’ll go Powertech OFX when I have the need. 

Thx

Smart move. I know a few guys that run those Solas props and they have nothing bad to say about them. My last new Powertech had major issues. That's why I'm looking to try new brands.

It looks to me you have 3 choices

1. Shift weight forward, Yes this will help but not solve the problem

2. Install wedges on the transom to give your boat more negative tuck under

3. Cup your prop, Your using a 4 bladed prop this gives you tremendous amount of stern lift. Change back to a 3 bladed prop.

Archived