Master Angler Repower

Carolinadrifter

I don't have an actual answer for you, however Ill tell you what I think. I think going from a 175 to a 115 you will be very disappointed. I think a 150 is the perfect motor for the 18MA, not sure the advantage of going with a 115(assuming we are talking 4s and not 2s). The weight is pretty close of the two, fuel consumption will be close, and price new will be close. Only thing I could guess that would be a factor to go with a 115, would be a super duper deal.

23 minutes ago, hurricane said:

I don't have an actual answer for you, however Ill tell you what I think. I think going from a 175 to a 115 you will be very disappointed. I think a 150 is the perfect motor for the 18MA, not sure the advantage of going with a 115(assuming we are talking 4s and not 2s). The weight is pretty close of the two, fuel consumption will be close, and price new will be close. Only thing I could guess that would be a factor to go with a 115, would be a super duper deal.

This...you will be disappointed going from a 175 to a 115.

Price between SHO Yamaha 150 and 175 are very close and the weight is the same 480 . The SHO Yamaha 115 is 3-4 thousand dollars less than the other two and the Vf115 weight is 370 while the vf150 & vf175 are 480 lbs.   If possible you should try and ride in a boat set up with the combo you are looking at and see how the handle the weight and HP . 

• 3 weeks later...

For what it is worth I have a 20ft LT that had a 150 Vmax 2 stroke  and called Skip about a 115, no way.  Got a standard  4 stroke Yamaha and cruise at 35-40MPH,  4000-4400 rpms. It would be perfect for your needs.  If you need to have go somewhere fast it will get you there.

FWIW,  At the lake yesterday, a severe thunderstorm was moving in on us.  There was a short window of time to get back to the ramp.  Punched it and made a run for it.  We got the boat pulled out and ready to roll with 1 minute to spare before the heavy rains started.  It was good to have the extra horsepower and speed when we really needed it.  If your boat can handle the extra weight and still be balanced, I would get the extra horsepower.

• 3 weeks later...

In my opin...the 115 will be way underpowered. Is the logic for going down to save money on fuel perhaps. I suspect that 115 will have to work mighty hard so savings there would be negligible. The MA is a heavy ride. I have looked at it a lot and when the time comes it is 175 SHO for me. Unless the time comes soon...as they are scarce right now. 

• 3 weeks later...

I know you guys wont believe this but I repowered my 1987 ma 18.5  with a2007 mercury 4stroke 90 (cause I had it on another boat I wasn't using ) yes I said 90. I run two weekends and then some on a tank of gas Top speed is 38 at 5500 rpms and loaded two men fuel ice and fishing rods. I'm not a speed demon so this works well for me.

On 9/18/2018 at 1:37 PM, eilybird said:

I know you guys wont believe this but I repowered my 1987 ma 18.5  with a2007 mercury 4stroke 90 (cause I had it on another boat I wasn't using ) yes I said 90. I run two weekends and then some on a tank of gas Top speed is 38 at 5500 rpms and loaded two men fuel ice and fishing rods. I'm not a speed demon so this works well for me.

Thats interesting...how long to get on plane though?

I think it's all about how you use your  boat.  If you don't travel long distances to get to where you fish you could probably get by ,but  I just don't the idea of WOT for most of my runs. I want to run 4,000RPMs  to cruise and have another 1500 RPM s to step up the pace if I'm trying to out run a storm.  The guys in FL know what I mean.

Archived