Florida Map Tracks compatible unit

James Grissom

Hello everyone  it's been a while ,  family issues kept me busy and away . I'm looking to install a Simrad   GO 7 or GO9 so I can use the FMT chip . will probably get the full state chart . I'm planning to retire next year and do some exploring , If wife permits!!! . I see several of you have  the FMT chips , and  I was wondering if your still happy with it. The Simrad  GO 7 only has a single SD port and the  Symrad GO 9 has Dual port  . Other than screen size is the additional port needed .  Sorry  if it's a stupid question , I never used or needed  a gps/sonar before  , any advise from you guys  would truly be appreciated  thank you .  jim

Loving mine (FMT on a Simrad NSS9 evo3).  Here's what Glen at FMT told me "EVO 2s are about 1/2 the cost of a Evo3 but very hard to find one now. They are discontinued. We have none.  The resolution on any 12" unit on any Navico model is 2.67x better than 7" and 9" screens. The only exception is the EVO3 9" or Carbon 9" which is better but still about 36% less than any 12".  EVO 3 12" is $3499 and the 9" is $2299.  Consider an Elite Ti 12" if cost is a factor. Its less than the 9" and better res.  We will refund 30% of the chart cost if you order a 12" unit with the charts."

The only issue with any of the "go" models is the inability to "spin" the knob in or out when running....it makes a huge difference....but, you pay for right to do so.

I got lucky and found a EVO2 with a 9 inch screen and bought the FMT full state (why not :) best investment i have made in a while... )

dc

Thanks Big Dave the EVO 3  9" and 12" is more than I can spend  right now. More important  family issues . That's why I'm looking at the GO 7 or 9 " or the Lawrence HDS 9 "thank you for help . Capt .DeWalt  I have never had a gps /sonar before I always fishing from airboats with a compass as back up sense I was kid .So when you stated you can't spin the knob in or out while running !  Can you please  clarify . This is my first flats boat shes a17' MA with a clean bottom and shallow water pickup  ,that I don't want to tear up lol.

1 hour ago, James Grissom said:

So when you stated you can't spin the knob in or out while running !  Can you please  clarify . This is my first flats boat shes a17' MA with a clean bottom and shallow water pickup  ,that I don't want to tear up lol.

Google Florida marine tracks...and watch the vidoes....they will show using the the knob on the Simrad....lots of threads on the Florida sportsman as well on the use...there is a knob on the top right that pans in and out....when moving, it's hard to hit the +/- on the screen....this is what is being referred to...

BTW, great choice on the MA17....I just bought my cream puff last year....1995 with original 114 two smoker :)

DC

Lowrance elite Ti is very similar to the Go, price and function, same company. If the knob of the NSS is desirable, but not affordable, the Elite ti has a button for zoom. I don't like having to pinch zoom all the time either, so having the button helps a lot. I have an Elite Ti 7, its been a great unit.

I run the FMT chip in a GO7 XSE. Love the chip and would highly recommend. As far as the GO7, there's certainly times I wish I had a bigger screen. When it's bouncy its difficult to zoom in and out, or adjust volume or songs if you run a SonicHub. If you zoom too far out on the 7" the screen gets too cluttered to be of any use with the multiple map layers and depth soundings. 

I have both the North and South FL chip but have only needed to run one at a time. If you fished on the border between the north and south chip that may be an issue. Lastly, keep in mind on the GO series the chips are inserted from a port in the back of the unit. Not an issue, unless you plan to flush mount. It could be a pain having to access the back of the unit in the console to change chips.

Dont get any GO unit if you run FMT.  You need buttons or knob.  The map is something you use all day so you screw around with the screen a lot.  If budget is a concern the Elite Ti 9 is a good choice.  I think 7" is way too small for FMT.

No buttons or no knob would *** with FMT.  If you get some other map the GO would be fine but it wouldnt matter much because not much to see on them by comparison so you dont zoom as often

Tks Skinny running , Capt. DeWalt seems to be happy with his Elite Ti .The 9" price is affordable , and as Hurricane stated above , the button will make it easier to zoom when running . This will leave me enough to pick up the FMT and a fwd, casting platform of some type. I already have a 50qt yeti I use . But it's really perfect for getting up and down from the polling platform quick. Thank you for you imput , this is all new to me .

Archived