Best level / angle for side scan transducer

East Coast Dave

The Pathfinder I bought had an Airmar P66 transducer but the simrad unit that was on the boat has structure scan.   I went and bought a new total scan transducer since I needed a new bracket for the old transducer. Makes sense right$300 vs $30..... What is the best way to determine the correct angle for the unit?  Many of the utube video show it tilted up a bit. I understand you want to have the unit parallel to the surface of the water which may nit be level with the bottom of the hull when on the trailer .  

Thanks in advance. 

Cool video for dialing it in perfect. One factor he didn't mention was to be sure the stack of coins is in the same place under the level. Move the same stack of coins forward or backward you will change the angle. Also spray off the transducer can be a factor in setting the angle. Too much up or down can cause spray to come off the trailing edge will running.

My guess would be, not very much.  Its not a pin point beam its a cone, so you're always looking at the bottom at some angle relative to depth.  Then there is wave action, people moving around on the boat. So your off the spot by 12", the wind and tide will swing you around way more than that.  That said, its very easy process and it can't hurt.

Its the little things that matter and can add up, and it depends on how far its off "perfect" .....  Ive found many a bottom fishing spot with the SI so personally I want every ounce of capability outta the multi thousand dollar equipment Ive purchased to help me find them

Archived