New 22 TRS on order... few questions

Bcart

13 hours ago, Bcart said:

Believe me.. I want to put a 250 on it but I just cant see having 70k+ wrapped in a 22' boat.  This is my first boat so this is all a learning experience.   I plan to use this one for a few years..Save some $$ and as my family grows, so will the boat.  

I bet I'm paying more for mine with a 150 than you did with yours w/ the 250...  Like anything else, the prices keep climbing.

You will have plenty of power with the 150, don’t sweat it

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

also consider this as you plan to upgrade in a few years.  look on boattrader or here for that matter at the number of 22’s for sale.  the ones with f150 sit for sale for a long long time until the owner finally comes to grips and accepts a low ball offer for a pretty big haircut the ones with 250’s sell pretty quickly and bring top dollar.  that extra $6,000 will cost you a lot less than the boat with 150 will when you go to sell.  just something to think about.

9 minutes ago, Bcart said:

The 200sho is a $6k option.. the 250sho is a $10k option...   for that amount It would probably be a smarter move to go with a 2400 with a 250. 

That is hard to understand since when I checked some online pricing, the 25" 250 SHO is only $7,005 more than a 25" F150, both with mechanical controls.   I wonder what the other $3K is for?   The extra 25 or 30 lbs of weight it costs to hang the SHO?  Or does MBG get some type of subsidy from the EPA for a more "green,"  higher mpg motor!

4 hours ago, redzone1 said:

also consider this as you plan to upgrade in a few years.  look on boattrader or here for that matter at the number of 22’s for sale.  the ones with f150 sit for sale for a long long time until the owner finally comes to grips and accepts a low ball offer for a pretty big haircut the ones with 250’s sell pretty quickly and bring top dollar.  that extra $6,000 will cost you a lot less than the boat with 150 will when you go to sell.  just something to think about.

Sorry it's the bean counter in me.

So you pay $10,000 more for the 250 SHO plus the added interest carry and then when it's time to sell you get a quick sale at a sale price of more than $10,000 plus the additional interest over the same used boat with a 150. Really?  

3 hours ago, JEM said:

That is hard to understand since when I checked some online pricing, the 25" 250 SHO is only $7,005 more than a 25" F150, both with mechanical controls.   I wonder what the other $3K is for?   The extra 25 or 30 lbs of weight it costs to hang the SHO?  Or does MBG get some type of subsidy from the EPA for a more "green,"  higher mpg motor!

I was just looking at a popular outboard motor dealer and they're quoting around $3,300 difference between the 200 and 250.  And around $4k difference between the 150xb and the 200sho..  I would think the dealer would be able to be closer to that number but from what I was told they are firm on the $6k. 

1 hour ago, bernieNC said:

Do you guys really buy boats planning on what you might get when you resell?

I agree with BernieNC.... are you guys really buying boats today based on what you may resale it for ?

I kept my first PF2400 for 10 years, at 1600 hours changed the 200 OX66 and put a F250 on it.... 3 years later...sold it for 28K.  

I now have a F150 on a 2200 XL and it runs about 45 mph and sips gas as compared to the F250. 

Pathfinders in South Georgia  usually sell in less than 10 days after the owner advertises it.....no matter what motor is on it. 

Do not go by the MSRP prices on the website, pretty inflated, if your dealer wants MSRP, find another dealer. You can call Ameratrail, or go thru an Ameratrail dealer, and buy the trailer for significantly less than the price on the Pathfinder website, for example. 

I understand that right now things are good and lead times are long (8-9 weeks on trailers), but still think you can get a decent deal with the right dealer.

• 1 month later...

Took it out with a buddy of mine today...  more than impressed with the ride and shallow capabilities...  the performance however.... ehhh

I’m fine with the holeshot...  top speed is pathetic.  I’m running a power tech 4 blade.  Not  sure specs.. shouldn’t it be reaching 6000rpms?  Overpropped? I’m seeing 37-38 at 5000rpms.  That’s all she’s got. 

48 minutes ago, Bcart said:

Took it out with a buddy of mine today...  more than impressed with the ride and shallow capabilities...  the performance however.... ehhh

I’m fine with the holeshot...  top speed is pathetic.  I’m running a power tech 4 blade.  Not  sure specs.. shouldn’t it be reaching 6000rpms?  Overpropped? I’m seeing 37-38 at 5000rpms.  That’s all she’s got. 

Yes, it should be running as close to 6000 rpm as possible with a light load (you alone and 1/2 tank of fuel), trimmed up, full throttle.  What diameter and pitch 4-blade are you running?  Or, which model and pitch Powertech prop is it?  There's got to be someone on this board with a similar setup, who already did the work and figured out the best prop.  Most will suggest that you contact Marcus at Powertech (Funky Monkey on this forum), for advice on prop sizing.  He can save you time and effort when hunting for the correct prop.

That’s a fairly big and heavy boat w T top for an F150.....you still have to add a trolling motor and 3 more batteries, so you aren’t going do a lot better on speed with the right prop....truthfully that boat loaded ready fish with livewell full you be doing good to see 43 mph WOT.    It is just the truth of the beast.  

Archived