New 22 TRS on order... few questions

Bcart

I have a 22 trs with a 150 w/ jack plate and t top being built and a little worried about it being enough power...I've read some guys getting anywhere from high 30's to high 40's..  Really wishing I could of put a 250sho on the back.

Another thing is livewell... I always thought recirculating was just a basic livewell.  They say its an option.  Can someone explain the difference please and if its something I need to add?

Last is the raw water wash down... I was set on it but the salesman said they tend to have issues fairly quickly... Its something I wanted and I think I'm going to call and have them add it.  Any insight?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bcart,

Welcome and enjoy your new ride!

IMO, a 150 is a little light for the new PFs, especially with a T top. After adding all your personal gear, TM and batteries, and gas, you’ll be pushing 4000lbs. Of course, it depends on a lot of things. On a big lake, it’s probably enough. In the Gulf or Atlantic, probably not. The dealers push the 150’s to keep the package price down, but you need to think about where and under what conditions you will primarily use the boat. If money is a concern, dump the T top, buy a Bimini, and put the money toward more HP. Add the top later. Get as much HP as you can afford. Good for resale. You won’t be sorry.

A recirc livewell is an additional pump that takes the water already in the livewell and recirculates it to aerate to keep fish and bail alive while on a trailer. In the water, the main  live-well pumps  pull water from the sea chest, adds to the well, and dumps the excess overboard thru the standpipe, keeping fresh, aeriated water in the well. I keep my boat on a lift and never use it. If your boat will be on a trailer all the time, get it. Good for resale, too.

I don’t have any knowledge either way of current problems with the raw wash system. The only defects that you could possibly have are sub standard pumps. If problematic, you have a warranty from MBG, so they can fix or upgrade. It’s a good safety feature, too. If you ever loose a motor water pump, you can run a hose from the pump port to the motor flush port, and limp home. It’s highly unlikely you’ll ever use in this way, but might impress your family with your safety concern for them. Also good for resale. If you get more HP, opt for the freashwater wash tank.

Hope this helps!

My opinion is that motor choice is based on how much flat water do you run?

If you run offshore or a cross lumpy bays often, a F150 is a good choice because you will not be able to run over 30 mph most of the time.  A F150 is very reliable and should give you 4 mpg at cruise.

If you run a lot of lakes, rivers and flats or run with a heavy load, more hp would be useful because you will be able to cruise  at 35 mph + but your fuel usage will increase to 3 mpg.

I have an 06 22t with a full tower. My f150 ( biggest short shaft 4 stroke at the time) pushes it about 40 wot, but I’m in the process of repropping so I’m only getting 5000 rpms) I bet you will get at least lower 40’s, which is enough 99%of the time... I’ll tell you I have never used my recirculater or my raw water wash. The recirc only comes into play if your tournament fishing and trailering a long way, never an issue in the tournaments I fish.  Also, It’s usually quicker and easier to grab a brush and bucket that to get out a hose, so I do that. (Fresh water wash down gets used almost every trip though). I’d have one for sure... Personally,  I use my I pilot and power pole much much more. That’s where I’d spend the money..good luck

Thanks for the info guys!   If i drop the T top for a bigger motor I'll have even bigger problems then not being able to go 50+.. THE WIFE. And a bimini isn't for me.    From what I've gathered the 200 isn't worth the extra coin and the 250 is what $6-7k more?   I'm already in more than I wanted to be for a 22' boat... Figured for these prices I could have a 24 but I guess not.  

I live right outside Tampa and will be spending most of my time inshore and the chain of lakes with the family.  

Thanks for clearing up the recirc. livewell.. I wont add it. But the fresh water makes sense.

I’m not sure what 200 you speak of. The 200 sho is a beast. I’m sure the 250 is better but my 200 SHO jumps on plane like a 2 stroke outboard and runs 52 lightly loaded. Agin I don’t know thei incremental dollars for motor upgrades but don’t count out the 200SHO, because you would notice the upgrade over the f 150

On the pathfinder site they only offer non sho 200's.  From what I've seen the regular f200 is underpowered and the 150 more like 160-170hp.    I'll have to talk to my dealer and see if the 200sho is an option.  

I have a 2017 with a 150, no T-top......30 mph cruise at 4000 rpm  4mpg.  Runs 44 mph with 2 people and rigged to fish. My friend has the same boat, same motor, with a T-Top. He has the same cruise speed and runs 42 same load. 

So......if you have plenty of coin drop the hammer on a 250 SHO. It will be plenty fast enough to scare your wife and kids and you will have a huge grin on your face. 

But.......there is nothing wrong with a 150 on the 22. I love mine. 40 plus is fast enough for me.  

I faced the same struggles 3 years ago when I ordered my 2016, although no t top for me due to height and getting under us1 in the keys where I fish it. I ended up with the 150 based mostly on cost. I can’t say I have any regrets. Resale wasn’t a concern for me but is a valid point. Many love the extra power but frankly you can always repower. I fish mostly inshore with an occasional offshore run and usually have at least 2 others with me and have had no issues in terms if feeling underpowered. I did go with a four blade prop to get up on plane faster and that likely knocks about 1-2 mph off my top speed. Again though not an issue for me. You will love the boat no matter the motor!

On 7/21/2018 at 9:46 PM, Bcart said:

Really wishing I could of put a 250sho on the back.

Another thing is livewell... I always thought recirculating was just a basic livewell.  They say its an option.  Can someone explain the difference please and if its something I need to add?

Last is the raw water wash down... I was set on it but the salesman said they tend to have issues fairly quickly... Its something I wanted and I think I'm going to call and have them add it.  Any insight?

I ran a F150 on a 22 PF 2005 for 7 years...never felt I needed more power...with an OFX17 4 blade I'd run high 30's WOT with my Jackplate up on 3.  Great engine..

Recirc - agree with above...it will actually kill shrimp so I use extra bubblers

Raw Wash Down-yes, nice to have..you just attach to the livewell pump and turn it on with the spray nozzel.

it's an easy to do afterwards...go to West Marine, get a pump and 3 year warranty....anythnig goes wrong..you bring it back...new one..they do tend to corrode a bit.....

Bimini vs T top..personally, on a Bay Boat..I would only use a Bimini...BTW, I had a "funky" double Bimini on my skiff..it would cover the entire boat...great for the summer...it attached by a zipper....if i can find pics i'll post them.

Bottom line...for the extra $$$...you can upgrade the trailer or install a stereo..but, to each their own....

dc

Well looks like the 150 will have to do..  went by and talked with the salesman today and it’s going to be another $6k for the 200sho.

He seems to think i’ll Be more than happy but we’ll see...    I did add the freshwater washdown and he said it should be about 5 more weeks and she should here. 

My 2012 2200 TRS WITH 250 SHO would run 62 light and cruise at 45 at 4,500 RPM.  Basically the 250 will cruise and Cadillac down the river in the low to mid 40’s where as the same hull with the 150 will be running WOT to achieve the same speed.   Add me to the camp of pile on all the horsepower the tail end can hold!

4 hours ago, redzone1 said:

My 2012 2200 TRS WITH 250 SHO would run 62 light and cruise at 45 at 4,500 RPM.  Basically the 250 will cruise and Cadillac down the river in the low to mid 40’s where as the same hull with the 150 will be running WOT to achieve the same speed.   Add me to the camp of pile on all the horsepower the tail end can hold!

Believe me.. I want to put a 250 on it but I just cant see having 70k+ wrapped in a 22' boat.  This is my first boat so this is all a learning experience.   I plan to use this one for a few years..Save some $$ and as my family grows, so will the boat.  

I bet I'm paying more for mine with a 150 than you did with yours w/ the 250...  Like anything else, the prices keep climbing.

It depends on the dealer connections of course, but just a thought...  Have you looked at pricing on the new Mercury 3.4L 175 4-stroke?  I would bet that the extra torque and displacement of the V-6 Merc would be the perfect compromise, if it fits in your budget.  But, I totally understand the sticker shock when pricing out a new boat these days!

Edit:  The 3.4L V-6 Merc 175 is the same weight (478#) as the 2.7L Inline-4 Yamaha 150

Archived