Need new GPS / chartplotter

rdupre

I replaced my old Garmin 178C with a Garmin ECHO CV. If you talk to the dealers,t hey will try to sell you a GPS/Sonar plotter with all the super bells and whistles on their new sonar technology for fish finding. I spend 95% of my time on the water in 4 feet or less, so a super-duper fish finder is useless. Don't waste your money on that.

Brian

20 minutes ago, Candle said:

I replaced my old Garmin 178C with a Garmin ECHO CV. If you talk to the dealers,t hey will try to sell you a GPS/Sonar plotter with all the super bells and whistles on their new sonar technology for fish finding. I spend 95% of my time on the water in 4 feet or less, so a super-duper fish finder is useless. Don't waste your money on that.

Brian

Candle , I agree 100% what you said above . If I ever replace my GPS / fish finder HDS ,Gen 2  With side scan ,( I removed that transducer ). I would get a GPS and use my eyes and fish pole to determine the water depth . I also stay in shallow water most of the time .  Joe R 

I'd look for a Simrad G07 without the transducer and spend your extra cash on a good map chip.  Depth finders are great if your fishing in 12+ feet of water on a regular basis.  But chances are being a Hewes owner that's likely not the case.  That's what I ran in my Redfisher 18 and loved it.  Pic of install below.

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

5 hours ago, djohnson5198 said:

I'd look for a Simrad G07 without the transducer and spend your extra cash on a good map chip.  Depth finders are great if your fishing in 12+ feet of water on a regular basis.  But chances are being a Hewes owner that's likely not the case.  That's what I ran in my Redfisher 18 and loved it.  Pic of install below.

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

That boat looks so clean and shiny. My  21 RF is beyond needing a polish/buff.

Here's advice from Glen (President of FMT):  "EVO 2s are about 1/2 the cost of a Evo3 but very hard to find one now. They are discontinued. We have none.  
The resolution on any 12" unit on any Navico model is 2.67x better than 7" and 9" screens. The only exception is the EVO3 9" or Carbon 9" which is better but still about 36% less than any 12".  EVO 3 12" is $3499 and the 9" is $2299  Consider an Elite Ti 12" if cost is a factor. Its less than the 9" and better res.
We will refund 30% of the chart cost if you order a 12" unit with the charts."

Archived