SHO 200 Tilt Trim

Headhunter

A little help here from the experts. The motor is about half tilted up and will not go either up nor down. I can hear the motor running when i push the tilt trim switch. It's on its lift so I can get under it. I know there is a manual relief screw. Is this just loss of fluid?

Thanks in advance for the guidence.

One would think loss of fluid would possibly stop the motor from going up but not down. I had my trim pump motor changed last year because of an intermittent trim problem. Mine was when running the boat and usually worked when I was looking to see if the motor was actually running .  If you bleed it down and it does not pump up I’d say motor/ pump issue 

Just to explain, a loss of fluid will prevent it from going down. Reason is a piloted check valve is used to hold it in place, you need to create some pressure down to open the check valve. So if you do not have fluid to create pressure in the down direction, it will not move from gravity alone.

Went and lowered the motor manually with the screw on the side. Tried it and it worked in both directions. It did need some fluid (2oz) after I exercised it a couple of times. Seems ok at this point. Even Yamaha tech support was surprised. Ill keep an eye on it. The fluid had to go somewhere.

Thanks for everyones help.

I had a old (very old) 70 Yamaha once upon a time. I actually ran with the bleeder just off the seat for years. I forget if it was up or down that did not work but I always suspected a sticking ball. For some reason with the bleed slightly cracked the trim worked and the motor didn’t really leak down either 

Archived