The Inventor of the Poling Platform

MuddyBottomBluz

With all the old Hewes popping back up on here it got me thinking about Bill Curtis you can read his life story here..............................  https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/obituaries/article112149762.html

He was a unique man, had the pleasure of meeting him a few times, he worked at the Bass Pro Shops in Miami in the fly shop before his passing. As a matter of fact the mural painted on the wall of the fly shop is Bill on the "Grasshopper" bone fishing. All of his boats were blue and yellow. It is an interesting read and references a book some of you might be interested in reading.

Just to add to his legacy, his urn containing his ashes was stolen from a close friend of the family's truck in Coconut Grove and to this day has not been recovered! https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article129617454.html

I here ya I was born and raised in Miami and it is has definitely changed. I try not to go south except for fishing and visiting relatives. Moved to Broward County in 87’ and it was a great place to live but sadly it is becoming the same as Dade.  

Great story I grew up fishing for bone fish and cuda in the stiltsville area , at the time Bill Curtis was working boat shows for Hewes and guiding out of a 18 Redfisher out of Crandon . When we moved from south Florida I wish I could of brought the bone fish spots with me and flamingo .  Love reading the old story’s about flats fishing thanks for sharing your find with us . Joe R 

• 2 weeks later...

The reference to the book “92 degrees in the Shade”...and that Capt Curtis inspired the main character. Had not heard of nor the film.    Found at my local library and was wholly unprepared for this book.  Guess I was expecting a John D MacDonald, or another “thorn” or “doc ford”.   Was not expecting a 1970’s Hunter S Thompson mixed with Richard B “trout fishing in America”.  

39 minutes ago, johnd said:

The reference to the book “92 degrees in the Shade”...and that Capt Curtis inspired the main character. Had not heard of nor the film.    Found at my local library and was wholly unprepared for this book.  Guess I was expecting a John D MacDonald, or another “thorn” or “doc ford”.   Was not expecting a 1970’s Hunter S Thompson mixed with Richard B “trout fishing in America”.  

They made a movie out of it and it can be watched on maybe Hulu or Amazon Prime. I watched it few years back anyway. Probably still around. 

Archived