1973 16 Bonefisher

Mjquatt

I am new to the forum and to the Hewes Family. Recently purchased a 16 Bonefisher and have begun the re-hab process. The boat underwent some work in the early 2000s and is pretty solid. The transom seems to be in good shape and the gunnels are good except around rod holders. The bow deck has to be replaced and some rotten wood between the fishbox / cooler and the aft storage compartments. My biggest hurdle at this point is fuel. The boat was retrofitted with a 19 gallon aluminum tank located in the bow. This poses 2 problems: 1)I would like to have more fuel (between 25 and 30 gallons if possible) 2) Existing fuel tank completely fills the forward storage area. I am trying to figure out how to squeeze as much fuel under the deck as far forward as I can between the stringers. Has anyone attempted this before? If so any information would be greatly appreciated (i.e. tank demensions, volume, belly tank versus rectangle....). There is not much height to play with and this is the problem. I will post some pictures in the next day or so when I become a little more proficient with the website. Thanks for any input. 

Mj, that boat was not designed for a big tank because of what it was used for, shallow water fishing. The more weight it had back then would make it difficult to push with a push pole, there were no trolling motors back then. The front deck is much lower on the older boats so there was not much room in the front hatch to begin with. With today's new engines the fuel economy is amazing so I don't know how important those extra gallons are to you?

By the way, post topics like this in the Hewes section and check out some of the classic Hewes found there. That should give you enthusiasm going into this project! 

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the input MBB, I know that much has changed since 1973. 30 gallons of fuel is a pipe dream!! 23 to 25 is the realistic number. I will repost in the Hewes section of the forums to see what I can learn. My hopes were that someone had already tried this and could say yea or nea to whether it could be done. If yea, what tank dimensions they used and how they did it. Enthusiasm for the project is not a problem.....beating the heat is the issue right now!!!!!

Mj, you definitely have a classic on your hands, heck; poling platforms weren't even invented yet when that boat was built! They stood on the cowling to pole. I am looking for one as well to bring back to life, they were thinner back then but heavier because of the building process.  I am looking for pictures to share with what Hewes did for a larger 20-22 gallon tank in the late 70's  to early 80's and they continued with before Bob sold the company.

Where are you located?

13 hours ago, Mjquatt said:

30 gallons of fuel is a pipe dream!! 23 to 25 is the realistic number.

Contact the OUTLAW @ AIM welding on this forum....he can build you a custom tank that will allow you to optimize your fuel tank.

He is the Leonardo Da Vinci of welding in South Florida....his motto is: If you can think it....he can make it.  

He's done a bunch of work for me that has been flawless.

DC

• 2 weeks later...

MBB,

Sorry I haven't been on the forum for a while, work has been wide open!!! Still trying to figure out the fuel tank as I move forward with the other fiberglass repair. I am located in Murrells Inlet SC. The type of fishing that we do will require less poling and more trolling motor. I would like to utilize the forward storage area, where the 19 gallon fuel tank was, to house (2) deep cycle batteries. I do not want to completely change the poling characteristics of the boat in case I decide to sell it one day but I would like to adapt it as best I can to create the best fishing platform for my area. I think that if I can keep the fuel tank as low and forward as possible I can do this. As I said earlier 30 gallons is a pipe dream, 23 to 25 is a more realistic number. I have done some "rough" measuring and think I can do a belly tank approximatly 46" long to hold the amount of fuel I want. The problem is going to be in the added height of the filler neck, pick-up tube and vent line. Plenty of time to ponder these problems while I work on the rest of the boat. 

Archived