Flip up anchor light repair

Dale Nelson

Sorry, it’s a Hella marine, I found a few. The contacts are done- terrible design when the light is in the down position the lens fills with water. Not sure if their  new version has the same design flaw.  I might experiment with turning it into LED and seal the lens

The only reason to put the light down is when you're poling.  I will be looking into a LED for mine.  My light is 20yrs old and still works.  If you keep your boat outside I wouldn't drill a hole in the top, if water gets in it will go straight to the electrical fixture instead of filling the plastic cover which won't hurt the electrical parts.  It takes a bunch of water to fill the plastic globe.  It is a bad design BTW.   

I keep my boat in a pole barn with a light cover on it, that I why mine stays in the down position 99% of the time, it mainly gets water in it when being washed or rained on when docked. It gets a surprising amount of water in the lens. I’m a little late for drilling a hole in the top.

I get it there has to be and they have to meet standards, and they will only recommend the CG approved equipment. Makes total sense from business perspective. I can tell you the bulb I put in is brighter and projects much better than the original incandescent bulb.  Of course that doesn't mean its right, but Im comfortable with it and feel safer with the light now than with old bulb.

• 8 months later...

Bringing this back from the dead...has anyone found a sealed LED Anchor Light that works in this application?  I have the same flip up Hella and the inside connection is coming apart and I just don't trust it to work 100%.  I don't do a lot of night fishing (but plan to do more) so mine stays down and out of the way most of the time.  I drilled the drain hole a long time ago and that has keep it dry.  I may have to do something like above, or just do some soldering inside to improve the connections if I can't find a replacement.

Hella makes a flip up led version.  I just replaced both on my Redfisher and my HPX.  Did not have a problem with the bulbs on the old ones, it was always the plastic that held the metal bulb mount. I have both boats covered and typical would get a year.  Hoping the new ones last

BDC3E4C6-70E6-495A-84EA-268DCE3C44FF.thumb.png.52bc79728bccdf820d0bbb5762033765.png I had the same version of hella flip up as shown in Dale’s pictures above, none of them lasted more than three years.  I run often after sunset and the fold up style light created a problem with front deck glare in the same mounting position as in Dale’s picture.  Last time looking for yet another replacement (after same light overloaded fuse and I had to drive home with no lights) I came across the sealed Naviled 360 with a flush mount and installed it in the location of Dale’s puck style gps antenna - Before replacing my gps unit, I previously had a similar antenna there and was use to not stepping on it.  With the far aft and starboard placement on the platform, the entire deck of my  18’ boat is inside the shadow of the platform.  Having the 360 degree visibility safety factor and zero deck glare, made a happy outcome of my ‘let’s try it and see what happens’ purchase/ placement decision.  The sealed unit also has a 5 year warranty.

https://www.hellamarine.com/en/products/navigation-lamps/all-round-white-anchor/2-nm-naviled-360-compact-all-round-white-navigation-lamps.html

Archived