Sign in to follow this  
Dale Nelson

Flip up anchor light repair

Kinda hard to say because I do not know exactly what light you have but I would say just get on line and see what you can find. If your light housing is good just search for replacement led bulb 

Sorry, it’s a Hella marine, I found a few. The contacts are done- terrible design when the light is in the down position the lens fills with water. Not sure if their  new version has the same design flaw.  I might experiment with turning it into LED and seal the lens

Ohh you mean the pole flips up .. I see now. Yeah man get you an led bulb and go to work on sealing the light 

New version is better, haven't had any issue with mine. I tried extensively to modify the old one to no avail. 

Best to keep it in the up position, it won't get water in that way. There is an LED bulb that fits it, I bought one on Amazon, or Ebay. Do a search for "31mm Festoon LED bulb". Im pretty sure its 31mm, might double check that before you buy.

The only reason to put the light down is when you're poling.  I will be looking into a LED for mine.  My light is 20yrs old and still works.  If you keep your boat outside I wouldn't drill a hole in the top, if water gets in it will go straight to the electrical fixture instead of filling the plastic cover which won't hurt the electrical parts.  It takes a bunch of water to fill the plastic globe.  It is a bad design BTW.   

I keep my boat in a pole barn with a light cover on it, that I why mine stays in the down position 99% of the time, it mainly gets water in it when being washed or rained on when docked. It gets a surprising amount of water in the lens. I’m a little late for drilling a hole in the top.

4 hours ago, jason p said:

I drilled a small hole in the top of mine (so it drains when flipped down) still works after 8.5 years.

This, mine also good for the last 8 years.

• Like 2

I bought a new Hella and put an LED bulb in it a few years ago, works great. I keep mine sideways to keep water out unless I'm poling or flipping up the VHF antenna, it gets in the way of the antenna in the sideways position. 

Hella Marine, maker of these lights advises not to use LED festoon bulbs as a replacement. They are not CG certified for correct brightness and lumen output. I bought their approved replacement. Keep it upright always.....no water inside.

I get it there has to be and they have to meet standards, and they will only recommend the CG approved equipment. Makes total sense from business perspective. I can tell you the bulb I put in is brighter and projects much better than the original incandescent bulb.  Of course that doesn't mean its right, but Im comfortable with it and feel safer with the light now than with old bulb.