Weather service?

centrofinatic

Hey all - any users/opinions on Sirius XM weather service?  Considering it because we do a lot of offshore fishing, and the afternoon storms that come from the west off the mainland aren't easy to predict in size and shape. Generally we are too far offshore for a decent (or ANY) cell signal to use MyRadar or similar.  Have had a few storms pop up in the last year that we have had to outrun first one direction, then a rapid course change to the other. Would be nice to see an real-time radar image.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Centrofinatic,

I have no experience with the Sirius /xm product in boats, but I do in airplanes. It’s probably a similar, and maybe the exact product, if you have an upgraded receiver. In an aircraft, these images are not real time. They range from 5 to 10 minutes old. (Just like the My radar app) In an aircraft, if you combine the XM (strategic) with the aircraft’s on board radar (tactical), you get a great picture of what’s happening and allows you to make good decisions on flying the least onerous route, or do a 180. Avoidance is the only way to stay safe.

I haven’t put in my boat simply b/c I’m never surprised.by weather. I assume it’s going to be bad every time we depart, and know I can’t outrun a TS in a boat. So in bad weather, or in the Florida summer afternoons, I keep fairly close to safety.

If I were 70 miles out......maybe more info is a good thing. I’m not sure how useful it would be for “pop ups”, and thinking about it, I’m not sure I know what they are. I just stay away from all bad weather.

If you purchase, I’m sure everyone would like frequent updates on its usefulness, and your opinions.

Good luck and be safe!

I strongly recommend Sirius weather.  I fish offshore of St George Island, during the summer, and we have thunder storms and sometimes water spouts around most days.

Its nice to see them on your fish finder and make an informed decision on staying or running.  Last year I came in from offshore and there were 3-4 water spouts in front if me. With Siruis weather I was able to sneak between two storms to get home,

Thanks for the input, guys. My last referenced storm happened when we were 12 miles out...and it was bad. I do occasionally sneak out over 20 miles to day drop for swords or look for dolphin/tuna. I can’t justify a radar system for my boat especially with no TTop, so I may pull the trigger on this.... will let you know.

Archived