2005 Pathfinder 2000v with hull damage

ChelsieO15

23 minutes ago, ChelsieO15 said:

@Wanaflatsfish great idea about getting the boat to the dealer. We have a huge dealer about an hour from us is Destin.

See if the factory can help you out.....glad I could provide some ideas....we on the forum all know how hard this is for  you and your family to deal with....my last recommendation....

Keep it in perspective....no one was injured because of this, no one died, it's only gelcoat and can be repaired....yep, it's $5K and it's a LOT of money....but, I've read stories about people buying a $100K boat and have  it sink because the bilge pump didn't come on after a hard rain the keys.....or they are driving it home and get T-Boned....and No more new to them, used boat as they didn't get insurance when they bought it and thought they could get home ok.....I bought a 1995 Maverick Master Angler, literally sight unseen....I only paid $11K for it and she was and is perfect.....could she have huge problems with engine or hull or whatever, yeah..but, I took the risk....it's part of the hobby.....I figured if it needed something serious, I'll  pay the $5K or $10K and fix it....a new skiff is $50K right now....and a new Pathfiner even more...if you like your baby, get her fixed and enjoy it.

dc

It's good to hear that MBG offered to help fix an older (out of warranty) hull, for a fair price.  It shows that they care.  However, it's still a lot of money and a major headache, to have to go through, right in the middle of the boating season!
Hydrolysis could be a contributing factor in the delamination, if water somehow got between the gelcoat and layup.  Here's a page copied from the West System Brand Epoxy guide called: Gelcoat Blisters Diagnosis, Repair and Prevention

The Problem of Gelcoat Blisters in Fiberglass Boats.pdf

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChelsieO15 said:

We had to take some time to figure out all of our options. Our friend in the area is the expert in the area at this kind of work, but he said that we should have MBG do the work because it will be as good as new. It was also recommended that we have insurance take a look because we truly have NO idea what happened. Could we have hit something and never noticed? That’s possible... could it have just happened? That’s possible too. What we know is my husband was backing the boat in the driveway and I saw this damage! My husband generally looks over the boat and cleans it very well after each trip (which is 1-2x per weekend).. that boat is his baby  

We did not have the boat prior to buying it. 

MBG would not fully cover the damage because of the age of the hull. They said they have to make a cut off somewhere.. which IS understandable. They are cutting us a deal.. giving us about half off of what it would usually cost. 

@Wanaflatsfish great idea about getting the boat to the dealer. We have a huge dealer about an hour from us is Destin. 

Before you pickup the phone to call the insurance company, consider sending a PM to "whichwaysup", Gus. If you don't wanna do that, at least look back to his posts and read what he had to say about his experience with insurance.  He just dealt with insurance and would probably give you some very valuable information. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, geeviam said:

It's good to hear that MBG offered to help fix an older (out of warranty) hull, for a fair price.  It shows that they care.  However, it's still a lot of money and a major headache, to have to go through, right in the middle of the boating season!
Hydrolysis could be a contributing factor in the delamination, if water somehow got between the gelcoat and layup.  Here's a page copied from the West System Brand Epoxy guide called: Gelcoat Blisters Diagnosis, Repair and Prevention

The Problem of Gelcoat Blisters in Fiberglass Boats.pdf

Great article . Over thirteen years there are many things that could of happened to any boat that could cause minimal external damage to the gel coat anytime the gel coat is not 100% sealed over time things like this can happen . Scary but true . 

• Like 3

Good points wana, gee & hurricane 👍🏻 

If you report this hull issue to your insurer then they may issue notice of cancellation due to unseaworthiness OR they may limit coverage until the boat has been repaired & a surveyor confirms that the repairs have been completed to standard marine practice. Most boat policies exclude wear & tear, gradual deterioration, latent & manufacturers defect so since there was no “occurrence” (ie. you didn’t hit anything), I’m not sure your policy will respond.   

As wana said, its all glass & gel. No big deal. Fix her up right, enjoy or sell it. I’d have MBC fix it if I had to make the decision. 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...