Cover for boat on a lift

SCFD rtrd.

Well, I've been off the grid for almost 6 months. Bought another condo in Englewood and totally renovated it, that accounts for the 6 months. Anyway, the new condo came with a lift and that poses my question. I want to cover my boat because it's taking a beating from the sun. But, how do they make a boat cover that you can deploy while on a lift? I haven't talked to any canvas people yet, but wanted to get some pointers from someone on how the cover should be constructed so that I can cover the boat while working from inside the boat.

I have fooled with this one for 10 years without a good solution. There is no way to get all around the boat on a lift. I have tried the standard cover and tied it down to the boat and or the lift and it blew off when the wind came from the stern. I have used elastic under the rubrail with limited success but it's a pain to get it all in place. I roofed both of mine and covered the console, leaning post and forward cooler.

If you come up with something please post it.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Must be cheaper than my metal roof.

It's been just over two years since my neighbor had his installed. At the time he did his I had a quote and it was around $3300 installed. I did not pull the trigger at the time, was in the middle of selling/buying another boat and the extra funds were slim. Have no idea what they cost now. The trick is making sure the back of the boat is covered as much as possible as the sun changes attitude during the year. My take is, ya want to keep as much sun off the engine as possible.

I've been looking at those on-line. The alum frame and canvas are about $3,500, instillation is DYI. The legs mount to your pilings and to the I-beams. If the association won't let me install one of these, I'll go with plan-B;  I'll build another walkway on the other side of the lift and have a standard full cover made.   

Archived