Any suggestions?

justdriftin

Can’t tell, is there anything to bite on it at all?  I have a pair of channel lock pliers that the teeth are slotted one direction specifically just to remove stuff like this. If you can get a bite, they will do wonders. They have been my saving grace a number of times. I’ll be home in morning and post up the model.   

To drill and use and extractor you really need to use a center punch to drill in the center of the bolt. If you get dead center you can move up in drill size and stop just before you reach the threads and the bolt will have room to basically collapse out of the threads. I would honestly try to get the top of the bolt flat and center punch the bolt and start with a very small drill bit and hope the other hole does not draw it off center. you might even try to put a bit of JB weld in the small hole you have started.

If you can get to the center of the bolt and drill a nice straight hold you have a chance to save the threads.

second option. would be to increase the drill bit size untill the bolt is removed and the block is clean of the bolt and threads then just tap some threads and step up slightly in bolt size

Third option. Still needs to be drilled in the center but it looks like you might have room to drill the bolt out and put a bolt all the way through and put a nut on the back side.

That stinks! Remember, the bolt broke for a reason. You need to get some PB Blaster / penetrating oil in there and reapply for a couple days. From there you can either pay a machine shop $100 +/- or get yourself some high quality reverse drill bits. Start off small and work your way up. I have also heard about glass tile hole saws that come in very small sizes that people have had great success with. 

Thanks all.  I think the bolt was over torqued when installed or maybe cross threaded.  I've been hitting it with blaster for a few days so seems like more than corrosion.  I broke the head off first, then broke off the stub.  That was with heating it up as well.  There's not much room to get in there and drill so that's been part of the challenge.

Looks like I'm going to have to tap it for a larger bolt or use a helicoil once I get it out.

Not much help if you broke everything off but I’ll recommend these for everyone’s tool box for stuff like this anyways. Like I said as long as you can get the slightest bite, these will do wonders. 

I cant read the numbers on mine anymore but they look to be what channel lock calls their “extractor” pliers. 

41C97933-8DBE-4F1A-8992-379131E45D22.jpeg

Archived