Trolling Motor Batteries

M.A.

I have a 2014 Redfisher with a 24v Minn Kota 80lb Riptide trolling motor. Powering the trolling motor are 2 D31M Optima 900amp deep cycle marine batteries in series. My trolling motor seems to use battery power at a high rate, usually in about 2 hours in light current I get low voltage alarm on my GPS. Both batteries check out perfect on a load tester. How long are you guys getting out of your batteries? Anyone ever measure your amp draw while running your trolling motor? I'm starting to think my trolling motor is using too much current. Below is the exact way I have mine wired. Thanks in advance.

24v%20Electrical%20001-L.jpg

I would check the resistance in your wiring. Older cables can draw a lot of current. I have an 80 pound MinnKota with 2 Advance Auto Parts group 27 deep cycle batteries on a closed circuit. I can fish all day with them, in pretty good current and using spot lock, with no problem. You're losing amperage somewhere along the line is my bet.  

On the D31M, your 900 amps have nothing to do with your trolling capacity it's the cold cranking capacity or the amount of "juice" your battery can provide to turn the starter for "x' number of seconds at 32 degrees if I remember corrected, it's related to your C20 Capacity which is only 75AH (75 Amp Hours), meaning, if you are running your TM at say 3/4 speed, it's going to draw about 40-45 / amp hr...you are only going to get 1.5 hours....that assumes you are running 3/4 speed for long periods of time...which is not always the case....if you have any resistance in your cables or corrosion, that will be even higher.  After running your TM for a while, check the cables and see if they are very hot...use the back of your hand so as to not burn fingers in case they are.....lastly, what size wiring did you use to connect the TM from the batteries?  This could be causing resistance as well, and did you make your own lug connectors, or machine pressed?

If you look at a DEKA series 27, it has a rating of 92 for a 20 HR ratting, similar to the C20....

I run two Series 27's for my 80lb Ulterra and have never gotten below 1/2 on the battery meter, even after a long day....I will run the TM normally 5-10 min at a time to move from spot to spot.

DC

Model:
D31M 
Weight:
59.8 lb 
C20 Capacity:
75 Ah 
Post Type:
Dual SAE & 5/16 Stainless Stud 
CCA:
900 Amp 
Width:
6.56 in 
Length:
12.81 in 
Height:
9.38 in 
Reserve Capacity @25 Amps:
155 Minutes

Having the correct gauge trolling motor battery cables helps also , a 50 amp draw on 25 feet of cable with 8 gauge cables will have over a full volt more voltage drop than 6 gauge cables . Correct cables good connections help performance . 

Thanks for all of your replies.  Batteries are 3 years old, test perfect on a load tester. Cables are new #6 Marine Grade wiring to the trolling motor. I was able to place a clamp-on amp meter on the + cable yesterday, and running the TM at full speed, into the 10mph wind I was showing 40 amps, just what the book says I should draw at wide open. I'm beginning to think Wanaflatsfish is correct with the 75 Ah. I'll take it out this week, and do a more precise test of the time it takes to run the batteries down.

Remove your prop and make sure you have not picked up any unwanted hitch hiker fishing line between the prop and motor. Also If your trimming the grass flats (they don’t need to be mowed) in heavier than normal current or and wind that will use up a lot more battery than normal . 

If the batts are truly good, I would check the charger. Maybe charge them with another charger and see how long you get. But typically this is a symptom of a bad batt.

I have to assume you're not running at 3/4-full speed for 2hours, but if so that may be all you get. Its tough to catch fish making that much noise running the TM that fast..............:)

Archived