plainsman5

Loose pull-up cleats

I have a 2004 2200v and starboard and port cleats near the transom are very loose. Is there a way to cut a hole from the inside of the back hatches to reach these cleats and tighten them?  I assume there's a little bit of space there?

thanks

jason

Is there a vertical rod holder somewhere in the same area? If so, might be able to remove the rod holder and have limited access to the bolts on the bottom of the cleat. Or you can rent or borrow a bore scope and have a look to see what access you have. Bore scopes are really affordable now.  

If you want to get to the underside you will likely have to cut the hole you mentioned. once you cut access in the box you should be able to get to the bottom side of the cleat.

Guys,

thank you all for your help. HoneyB, you are correct. I ended up using a 4" hole saw that gave me enough room to get a 1-1/4 inch deep well socket over the nut and back them off. I took them off, cleaned with the wire wheel and now they look almost brand new.  I'm fairly certain they make a 4" pie hole cover I can put over my new holes. I tried to go back as far as possible in both hatches before I commenced to sawing!  By the way, I have no idea which company made those cleats...no markings anywhere. 

Jason

Gemlux makes them now .. there is a guy on here who has two new ones for sale that you could get for a nice price  if you decide you need to replace them .