2017 2200TRS Ice chest struggle

Steveden

I use mine in place and seldom take it out. With the molded cooler in front of the console  for drinks and such the back cooler is mainly for fish. If I need a larger or more mobile Cooler a 123 Engel still sets in the floor in the front of the boat

I'm not a big fan either, l looked at slides but never installed them as they look to be as much of a pain as the cooler, and a little pricey.  Right now I've got a 75 qt yeti which takes up most of the space.  Its hard to open and I'd really love to have tackle storage there.  But I don't have a ton of other options.  My boat has the old "euro" style console with the built-in seat up front.  Its got a drain and i think it's insulated so I could use it as a cooler but's not very big. I usually have a decent size crew so we need the cooler space for drinks, lunch etc. I've kind of resigned myself to having to make it work unless I wanted to give up cooler space.  It opens enough to get drinks in and I use it for snapper and just bag them so it doesn't get my drinks too fishy.  Bigger fish i just use the release well and either run the pumps or ice them down.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:02 PM, bernieNC said:

Take it out and don't put it back. That is what I did several years ago and the space is more usable.(small lunch coolers, 5 gal buckets, smaller more manageable cooler for fish  etc.) For the record I hated that big cooler under the leaning post.

exactly what I did.

you can also install the slide out track system for the big cooler.

Add a couple strips of starboard to the bottom to help it slide, then add a nice handle to the front so you can just pull it out to access the contents. You'll need to add a strap across the front of the cooler and attach to both legs of the leaning post to keep it in place.

I wrote a short DIY article for Florida Sportsman  Magazine a few years ago, featuring the starboard strips. Photos are attached. This has worked fine for me for years. I use the short bungees with hooks that clip to the leaning post to keep the cooler in place under the seat. Most of the time, during a day of fishing the bungees aren't attached and the cooler does not slide out by itself, yet is easy to pull with one hand when I need to open the lid. On super rough days or when I have a long, bumpy run home, I'll secure cooler with the bungees. Simple, cheap, effective.

Joe

DIY Cooler Slide 2 (1).JPG

DIY Cooler Slide 3 (2).JPG

DIYCooler Slide1.JPG

Archived