Redfisher 18

jjs

Hello!

Just put an order in for a Hewes Redfisher 18 with f150 sho. expecting delivery mid August.  Went with the Hewes over Maverick given input from others about the local conditions and use....  We are in the South Carolina low country and this will be first saltwater boat.  Very much interested in any thoughts or insights you all may have regarding the boat/motor and how to set this boat up?  Mainly going to use as a flats fishing boats and occasionally sand bar trip with up to 4 folks.  I did order a PP 8' blade.

1) GPS/FF choice? Dealer says I could flush mount 9" screen.

2) Minn Kota Ulterra or other choice?

3) Prop choice on f150 sho?

4) Other??

Appreciate your help and/or insight.

Thanks so much!

You made a great call based on what you described.  The redfisher is a great all around boat!  I am just north of you in Wilmington and my Maverick MA (similar to the redfisher) is ideal for up here.  Gets skinny in the marshes, handles the nasty river tides, gets outside  on calm days, comfortable platform for all of the fishing I do.  Get some pics posted!

For GPS/FF, so much is personal choice, but I would heartily recommend side scan capability, game changer.  

For TM, the GPS TMs are life changing.  the new Ipilots have MUCH better anchor lock accuracy than the old ones and are now comparable to the Mototguide XI5s.  The rest is just preference for which brand, and there are 10k threads about which to choose.  The ulterras are impressive if bending over and deploying is hard on you physically.

23 hours ago, jjs said:

1) GPS/FF choice? Dealer says I could flush mount 9" screen.

2) Minn Kota Ulterra or other choice?

3) Prop choice on f150 sho?

4) Other??

GPS - Simrad - Garmin's mapping has gone down hill in my opinion - do not flush mount

MK Ulterra - yes , 80lb, 60" shaft, Deka series 27's will last you all day

Prop-call Marcus at Powertech

Powerpole - get two mounted, it will change your way of fishing or get a stick it anchor to stop the sway in a current.

SW washdown system is nice to have

DC

Hate to put your mind into a quandary but I've got a 2008 18' Redfisher with a Yamaha 150 Vmax on it. I wish I had found the same boat with a Yamaha 115. My boat "squats" quite a bit and sits low even while idling along looking for fish. Also, with Trim/tilt, Jack Plate and Trim Tabs to coordinate, it can be work to find the perfect cruising position. The extra 8-10mph the 150hp affords (62 vs 52-54 for the 115hp) isn't worth it in my opinion.

Either way, you're buying an awesome hull that will last you 25+ years if you take care of it. And btw...I got a Motorguide Xi5 GPS trolling motor and it is THE BOMB! I've never had anything so perfect for my needs on the water and you're an expert instantly being so easy to operate.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:41 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

GPS - Simrad - Garmin's mapping has gone down hill in my opinion - do not flush mount

MK Ulterra - yes , 80lb, 60" shaft, Deka series 27's will last you all day

Prop-call Marcus at Powertech

Powerpole - get two mounted, it will change your way of fishing or get a stick it anchor to stop the sway in a current.

SW washdown system is nice to have

DC

Thanks for the information. 

What are the disadvantage to flush mount? What Simrad model would you recommend?

Currently have 27 series batteries spec. but some say 31s?

Thanks for the help.

16 hours ago, Nolezone said:

Hate to put your mind into a quandary but I've got a 2008 18' Redfisher with a Yamaha 150 Vmax on it. I wish I had found the same boat with a Yamaha 115. My boat "squats" quite a bit and sits low even while idling along looking for fish. Also, with Trim/tilt, Jack Plate and Trim Tabs to coordinate, it can be work to find the perfect cruising position. The extra 8-10mph the 150hp affords (62 vs 52-54 for the 115hp) isn't worth it in my opinion.

Either way, you're buying an awesome hull that will last you 25+ years if you take care of it. And btw...I got a Motorguide Xi5 GPS trolling motor and it is THE BOMB! I've never had anything so perfect for my needs on the water and you're an expert instantly being so easy to operate.

I have heard that from a few folks as well as other who disagree....wonder if the newer models (post 2013?) act differently with the 150?

5 hours ago, jjs said:

Thanks for the information. 

What are the disadvantage to flush mount? What Simrad model would you recommend?

Thanks for the help.

Two major disadvantages to flushmount:  

1)  you cant view it from the bow of the boat - I have my FF on a ram mount and frequently find that I spin it around 

2) Obviously, you will eventually deal with replacments that are not an exact match but starboard would help clean that up.

10 hours ago, jjs said:

You need to be straight on to see in the sun....Simrad - depending if you are going to be using the FMT chip and are in florida....you need to use the EVO2 9NSS or EVO3...they are pricey, the other XO models work well.

Series 31?  No, not necessary for a RF18....just get DEKAS....they work well for the series 27.  Get a good charger and charge immediately upon return

dc

jjs,

Congrats on your purchase of a new RF 18, and welcome to the group!  I have a RF 16 and enjoy it a lot.  I like having the extra power of the VF115 SHO, even if it squats a bit more than it would with a VF90 SHO.  If I had a RF 18, I would go with a VF150 SHO like you did.  Your boat will cruise at a good clip, and the motor won't be working hard at all.  Fuel economy will probably be better too.  And, face it... sometimes you just want to blow the doors off the other guys boat beside you!  I would not install a jack plate on your Redfisher unless you absolutely need to.  There have been some difficulties reported when a JP was added (prop blowout, stern squat, etc.)  PM me if you have to add a JP and I will try to help you avoid the mistakes I made.  My JP is now setup to work well with the Redfisher design. - wasn't easy.

Gary

7 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

You need to be straight on to see in the sun....Simrad - depending if you are going to be using the FMT chip and are in florida....you need to use the EVO2 9NSS or EVO3...they are pricey, the other XO models work well.

Series 31?  No, not necessary for a RF18....just get DEKAS....they work well for the series 27.  Get a good charger and charge immediately upon return

dc

I am in South Carolina.  Took a looking at Simrad and Garmin yesterday...need to spend more time to see how they operate for me but the EV03 screen was much better to my eye.

Thanks!

You picked a great boat! I am certain it will serve you and your family well. I fish that area often in my Hewes LT18, which is very similar to your RF, and love it. I would not flush mount anything. You should have room on top of your console for bracket mounts. If you flush mount, you're locked in to that size unit. Bracket mounts give you flexibility. 

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations.  Lots of good advice from this group

agree..don’t flush mount gps on a skiff. The ability to twist it so you can see screen while standing on the bow or tilt when on platform is why.  I use Garmin and Simrad..at this point most are very good and it’s personal preference 

TM: early versions of Ulterra had issues, no longer hearing complaints. I don’t mind deploying (I’m cheap).  Either way the new spot lock on MK is so much better.  

Yep, Marcus the Funky Monkey for your prop choice. Explain to him what is important to you.  Expensive & priceless.

enjoy & welcome.

On 6/26/2018 at 7:41 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

I bought a Lowrance HDS-9 Carbon (similar graphics to Simrad, same parent company), and I was all set to top-mount on a swivel base, so that I could view the screen from the bow.  I am very tall, but so is the Redfisher console.  A 9" GPS/FF on top of my console blocks too much of my view when running.  If anyone has a solution, I am all ears.  Otherwise, I think flush mounting is better in my case.

10 minutes ago, geeviam said:

I bought a Lowrance HDS-9 Carbon (similar graphics to Simrad, same parent company), and I was all set to top-mount on a swivel base, so that I could view the screen from the bow.  I am very tall, but so is the Redfisher console.  A 9" GPS/FF on top of my console blocks too much of my view when running.  If anyone has a solution, I am all ears.  Otherwise, I think flush mounting is better in my case.

P.S. The mount I was going to use was the Johnny Ray swivel mount.  Maybe if there is a collapsible arm mount that would allow the unit to be lowered toward the driver, below the top level of the console, it might work.  Any ideas are welcome.  Thanks.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:03 AM, Drummer said:

You picked a great boat! I am certain it will serve you and your family well. I fish that area often in my Hewes LT18, which is very similar to your RF, and love it. I would not flush mount anything. You should have room on top of your console for bracket mounts. If you flush mount, you're locked in to that size unit. Bracket mounts give you flexibility. 

Good looking dog also.

Really appreciate all the insight and suggestions posted here as well as the private messages!

Should be about a month away from delivery.  As far as the boat goes, I think my order includes most options available with a few exceptions....I will be going ahead with the MK Ulterra RT, 60" but struggling with Chartplotter/Fish Finder choice...Simrad, Garmin? buttons or not?, who has best maps for my area - low country South Carolina, etc.  I also need to consider some sun shade?

Thanks!

Be careful with that 60" TM...

I have the 48" on my 07' and I think its a good fit. I measured out the 54" and I felt that the head would stick out way too much. Heck... I have gotten hung up on the trailer guides a few times already, and I just noticed that the head is cracked not to mention worring about when your tied up to a dock. 60" seems overkill IMHO

I'd definitely go Simrad on the GPS, very user friendly and great map options.  I've ran G07 on my previous Redfisher and currently have NSS9 Evo 3.  The slinder G07/G09 units look amazing but having those "real" buttons on the NSS in rough water are a huge plus.  Makes operations considerably easier while under way.  I've had both bracket mount and flush mount as well.  I never spun the bracket around as I had no point in viewing a depth finder while fishing in less than 2ft of water.  I'd honestly recommend saving the money on the transducer and spending the extra coin on your map card for the GPS.

IMG_2344.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

Archived