Friction Hinge for Front Dry Storage

justdriftin

Anyone replace the hinges on the large front dry storage of their Pathfinder with the gemlux friction hinges?  It would be nice to get rid of the gas shock, and last time out with my kids, it kept getting knocked off and the catch on the end is wearing, so need to do something about it anyway.  Just concerned with the size of the hatch lid and whether or not the friction hinges will hold it.  Also, which hinge did your order.  Size looks to be a direct replacement but hard to tell if its top mount or flush mount.

I think the front hatch might be way to large for friction hinge. I spoke with Jerry at gemlux before buying my replacements for the lids on the back. He said the friction hinges are good but have there limatations.  The most direct replacement hinge is the SD version of the friction hinge 

1 hour ago, justdriftin said:

Anyone replace the hinges on the large front dry storage of their Pathfinder with the gemlux friction hinges?  It would be nice to get rid of the gas shock, and last time out with my kids, it kept getting knocked off and the catch on the end is wearing, so need to do something about it anyway.  Just concerned with the size of the hatch lid and whether or not the friction hinges will hold it.  Also, which hinge did your order.  Size looks to be a direct replacement but hard to tell if its top mount or flush mount.

If the friction hinges won't work, you can replace the ball sockets on the end of the gas shocks with stainless steel balls.  They are a nice upgrade and real cheap and easy to do.   I don't think you will see them wear out!  LOL  Just sayin'.....

3 hours ago, JEM said:

If the friction hinges won't work, you can replace the ball sockets on the end of the gas shocks with stainless steel balls.  They are a nice upgrade and real cheap and easy to do.   I don't think you will see them wear out!  LOL  Just sayin'.....

Any idea where to find the replacement SS socket, that sounds like a great idea.

1 hour ago, justdriftin said:

Any idea where to find the replacement SS socket, that sounds like a great idea.

Maxum Hardware is the distributor for the Ameratool gas shocks.  I ordered them straight from them.  The SS ends look a lot better than the black plastic ends.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RodWorks said:

I put the friction hinges on my live well and they just barely slow down that small lid.  They would have no chance on a large hatch.

Wow , I would call gemlux back about that. Mine have to be pushed down to close and will stay up at almost any position. 

On 7/2/2018 at 8:56 PM, HoneyB said:

Wow , I would call gemlux back about that. Mine have to be pushed down to close and will stay up at almost any position. 

I think I have the first generation of them and they are improved now.  Might have to call if they get worse.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced them.  They are not direct fit.  I had the lid backing and edge done cause of a crack so drilling the lid side was going to happen.  The boat side drilled and tapped just fine.  They hold the lid at 90 +/-.  It works well and i get more clearance than with the gas shock.  I also installed the ones on the anchor locker and the side dry storage lockers.  What a genious move!!!  Love them all and they work incredibly well.  The side lockers had to go installed on the outside of the lid and box instead of in the recess.  None of them are direct fit but work well for me. 

• 3 months later...
On 7/22/2018 at 8:56 AM, FirstPriority said:

I replaced them.  They are not direct fit.  I had the lid backing and edge done cause of a crack so drilling the lid side was going to happen.  The boat side drilled and tapped just fine.  They hold the lid at 90 +/-.  It works well and i get more clearance than with the gas shock.  I also installed the ones on the anchor locker and the side dry storage lockers.  What a genious move!!!  Love them all and they work incredibly well.  The side lockers had to go installed on the outside of the lid and box instead of in the recess.  None of them are direct fit but work well for me. 

What model of hinge did you use to replace the anchor locker hinges with? I'd love to do that for mine, as the anchor locker stresses itself when fully open. Mine is a 2004 2200 TE.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 8:43 AM, cmorales said:

What model of hinge did you use to replace the anchor locker hinges with? I'd love to do that for mine, as the anchor locker stresses itself when fully open. Mine is a 2004 2200 TE.

FH-3669-TM. Note that these will need to mount on the outside of the lid instead of inside. However, it’s the best thing I’ve done for all the front hatches.

Archived