F250 Thermostat Change

justdriftin

I have a 2007 model F250, its overheating at low RPM.  My normal mechanic is backed up a couple of weeks but told me it probably was the thermostats.  I'm generally pretty handy and used to work on most of my own stuff, but with this motor have pretty much just let the mechanic handle everything, I spend my time doing what I do best.  This one seems like it should be pretty easy, but haven't been able to find a video or good tutorial online for this model.  Can anyone give me any pointers on this or pass along any resources.

Thanks

On 6/22/2018 at 3:11 PM, Bamaskeet said:

I suggest you use a 1/4" drive to reduce the possibility of snapping a bolt.  Use  propane torch if you find a stubborn bolt and use a marine anti seize on the bolts during reassembly.

It's  an easy job if you don't snap a bolt.

Took your advice and still snapped off the first bolt I tried to get loose.  Any other suggestions on getting the other 3 out without snapping them?  I gave everything a good dose of blaster figured I'd let that work and come back today and see how it goes.  Weird thing was, that bolt didn't seem seized and I didn't horse it, just started turning it and it wrung the head off.

I did order 4 replacement bolts just in case.  

I can run it in a drum or a molasses tub or something to get temp up.  I'm a little leery of using a torch on that block, especially around that fuel line i disconnected to access the cover.  But a heat gun might work as well.  Since the block is aluminum and the bolt is stainless my assumption is that the aluminum is going to heat faster anyway.

Archived