Bad Day

Capt. Troy

Found this "below" at the marina yesterday morning when I got to the boat. Place was still closed but I have a key to get in. Called the emergency Marina number to let them know she was down and going further. Fuel and oil coming up through the hatches.

Seeing Sunk boats always creep me out when I'm getting ready to run offshore.

Then,  when we got off the dock I fire up the VHF "dead". Got out in the channel and found the fuse holder popped loose. Quick fix and off we go.

Get around Anclote and turn into a west wind at 15 knts and gusty. Long swell set at 4 feet with 2 to 4 chop and confused white caps on top of the swell.:|

Got pounded on the way out and the fishing was just off. Hard to sit right on the hook, gumbo snot grass coming up on the baits. About 28 miles off now and the weather alerts are going off on the VHF and the sky to the north looks ugly. Warnings for water spouts and winds in excess of 30 Kts. We dodged around it but did not make it to my ARS spot but no way I'm going to get caught in the mess 40 miles out. Got the day in while fishing our way back and away from the weather.

Didn't want to look like this. Even though my body feels like it this morning.

SB7JMol.jpg

That’s a sad picture to look at , I would think seeing it live (smelling the oils and gas )would be way worse than looking at a picture . Seeing pictures of things that happen at docks makes me happy that my little HPX sleeps inside the garage . Hang in there Capt. Troy all you can do is make sure your boat is docked as safe as you can make it . Be safe

That really stinks! It happens a few times each month down here at various marinas across south FL. Clients ask me all the time why there are so few insurance options for their old boats and why their rates are so high. That picture provides a perfect explanation. Fact is that dockside sinkings happen much less frequently on newer vessels. Keep your beautiful Rampage safe, Troy!

Wow.  Had similar weekend.  Had a livewell full of pass crabs and headed out to the beach on a beautiful, borrowed 24' Sea Hunt.  Thank goodness we were in that boat rather than mine because that west wind and swells were awful.  No tarpon, no nearshore bite, and one guy sick as can be.  The next day I got a violent fever from what my doctor says is likely excess sun exposure/dehydration, etc.  Never experienced this before.  Even hydrated well while out there.  Guess I'm just getting old and frail. :(

In any case, seeing that boat is painful.  Truly feel for them.

1 hour ago, Capt. Troy said:

You speak the truth.

Prime example of people with older boats and neglect. If you look at the pic close you can see his shore power cord with barnacles on it. From what I hear the power was off, batteries dead and was slowly leaking somewhere.

That should be a lesson to marina operators.  They should have standards that in-water owners should have to adhere to.......or be run out!   These type owners and their boats can be a threat to other boats in close proximity.  Sometimes, their money might not be worth it.

37 minutes ago, JEM said:

That should be a lesson to marina operators.  They should have standards that in-water owners should have to adhere to.......or be run out!   These type owners and their boats can be a threat to other boats in close proximity.  Sometimes, their money might not be worth it.

Yea, like the idiots around me that did nothing to prepare for IRMA. No extra lines, no nothing. The junk gets loose and beats up my boat then I have to deal with it. It sounds bad but the first thing I did was check my bait pen holding 120 select pinfish. Was worried the fuel spill got them.:D

Archived