Red tide

D-linesider

Bubba my brother has been on Palm Island since 7/1. He said the beach there is hit or miss but Cayo Costa is clearing up and big snook on the beach down there. I can pass his contact info on if you want to give him a shout?

Been hanging out the house all day. We launched yesterday around 5:30. Looks to be business as usual. 20-25 boats over on south end of cayo costa. Captiva pass has been busy, saw a ton of bait this morning in the pass. Snook have been cruising up and down. I wouldn’t know anything was in bad shape a couple of weeks ago. We haven’t seen a single dead piece of bait or dead fish. I’ll post again when I get on boat

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:22 PM, dcathey said:

Been hanging out the house all day. We launched yesterday around 5:30. Looks to be business as usual. 20-25 boats over on south end of cayo costa. Captiva pass has been busy, saw a ton of bait this morning in the pass. Snook have been cruising up and down. I wouldn’t know anything was in bad shape a couple of weeks ago. We haven’t seen a single dead piece of bait or dead fish. I’ll post again when I get on boat

Fantastic!!! Looking forward to more reports!! On other sites I have seen nothing but photos of dead fish and how everything is dead! They are also reporting extremely dirty water and no fish or bait. These reporst are thus far the exact opposite!

Bubba

I’m not going to come out and say anything is bad or degrading but on the way back from Captiva for lunch today I noticed a weird smell a couple brief times. Also water in the bay or pass wasn’t as pretty as yesterday. I spoke with a guy who was renting on backside of N Captiva and he said he thought the smell was a hint of red tide but him and his kids were swimming. The wind shifted a little and maybe it stirred some of that mess up. Beachside was beautiful and cayo costa appeared to be busy again. Beachside of n Captiva was packed on the new sandbar and the water down near redfish pass looks better than Captiva pass. Bait was plentiful especially near redfish pass. I still think things are on the mend

I had to run back to NC for a few days, returning to Sanibel tomorrow. Not sure about the accuracy of all the bad reports, as we are seeing and catching fish all over the place. Ran up to Marker 64 looking for bait, large schools of threadfins are around. Hooked a tarpon in Captiva pass. Had a barracuda take a grouper boatside in Captiva pass. Lots of snook on the beaches. Bay water is dark, no doubt, but fish are biting. Trout active on the flats. Have not hooked a redfish, but did see a couple renegades swimming near the shore. Noted a sweet smell coming from Cayo Costa land breeze about half way up, not sure of the origin. Tons of boats anchored up on Gulf side of South Cayo Costa over the weekend. Water was nice. I'll report more in a few days. 

What drummer said....I didn’t mean to sound doom and gloom. The smell caught me off guard but haven’t noticed it today. I am not on the water as much(8 month old and 5 year old) this year. All I did was speak to couple folks. Appears better today and all NOAA red tide forecasts look great. Headed to Cabbage Key tonight for dinner. The snook don’t seem to mind on the sunset bite

Stayed on N Captiva last week. Was on the water everyday. If I hadn’t read about the red tide I’m not sure that I would have thought things were off. There were a few dead carcasses on the beaches but water quality was fine. Dark in the bay from rain but passes (Captiva and Redfish) we’re fine. Caught all the snook you want. Tarpon were noticeably missing. Saw some rollers off Cayo my last day (Friday 7/13)

36 minutes ago, a375459 said:

Stayed on N Captiva last week. Was on the water everyday. If I hadn’t read about the red tide I’m not sure that I would have thought things were off. There were a few dead carcasses on the beaches but water quality was fine. Dark in the bay from rain but passes (Captiva and Redfish) we’re fine. Caught all the snook you want. Tarpon were noticeably missing. Saw some rollers off Cayo my last day (Friday 7/13)

Tarpon are about 4 miles off Redfish Pass in 32-35 feet of water, apparently feeding on crabs, which are all over the place.  

Archived