2002 Yamaha Oil question

DAME TU LONCHE

You might have opened a big can of worms!  We all know you must run Yamaha oil in a Yamaha or it will blow!:D

I general run whatever oil you want as long as it meets specs, it is your motor.  FWIW In the oils I have ran Yammilube seems to smoke the most.

17 hours ago, mulligan said:

I general run whatever oil you want as long as it meets specs, it is your motor.  FWIW In the oils I have ran Yammilube seems to smoke the most.

This!  I personally run whatever I can find the cheapest (meeting specs) in my pre mix motors.  I run Penzoil XLF or Premium Plus in my oil injected motors.  I see less carbon build up and a little less smoke with penzoil. 

Price is not really a factor for me when it comes to Yammilube.  My local dealer sells it in bulk and is fairly cheap.  My last motor was premix and smoked like crazy on startup with Yamaha oil.  I did not mind but all those new 4 strokes at the dock sure took notice.  I also found I was replacing plugs more because of it.  I'm not sure if it would make a lot of difference on an oil injected motor.  I don't think I have tried it on my current HPDI just because I am happy with what I am using now.  Again, if you YOU like using Yamaha oil by all means do so, it is your motor.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:48 AM, DAME TU LONCHE said:

So far Penzoil is looking like it has a lead....out of curiousity, is the reason for not prefering Yamalube....the price?

No, it is the cleanest burning oil out there and does an excellent job. Yamalube is dirty burning, price is not a concern.

On 6/20/2018 at 8:36 AM, DAME TU LONCHE said:

Hello everyone, hope everyone is having a good week. I have a question regarding Oil for my 2002 Yamaha VMAX. Should I stick strictly with Yamalube or can you use something like Penzoil for 2 strokes?

For me, if it's not broke, don't fix it when it comes to outboard motors....if your engine is running fine and you are  using Yamalube,why change?  For a few $$ savings...how about all the money and time you put in to go fishing, my average trip is well over $100 when you consider gas, bait, ice, etc.

I've been an OEM person when it comes to oil and parts for engines....with the one exception and that is a RACOR filter vs Big Blue because you can see any issues developing.

As well, and in my simplistic mind, the Japanese engineers designed the engine around their specs (and granted others which meet it), and sure they are making $$ on the oil, no doubt, but, for me, it works and for the difference in a few $$$ annually, it doesn't even make a rounding error on my total boat spend when you consider upgrades, tires, new axle, cleaning stuff, rods and reels....the list goes on and on.....if Penzoil and others work for others, stick with it....I think the most important thing is to be consistent.

dc

I think the consistent part is the key.  That way when it smokes more, smalls or sounds different, fouls plugs...whatever...you atleast don’t have to try and deal with that variable. 

And exactly why I only used Penzoil premium plus for about 15 years. After doing my own testing and finding it to be much cleaner burning that yamalube and merc stuff and a few others, it’s also available at every Walmart, Advance auto etc and alot of tackle and hardware shops and even a lot convince stores I’ve seen. That way when I forgot to bring that jug on my keys or camping trip I can find it ezpz even on a weekend or something. 

Archived