Towing 2200V as a tender

z28jimi

On 6/20/2018 at 9:33 AM, fin-addict said:

should not be a problem, long distance towing should be done with a bridle setup, tracks better. JMO.

I planned on a bridle from the towing boat to a shackle, and from there a single line to a single-point connection at the tie-down eye of the Pathfinder.

Is that what you mean, or are you suggesting a two-point bridle at the Pathfinder end?

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, z28jimi said:

I planned on a bridle from the towing boat to a shackle, and from there a single line to a single-point connection at the tie-down eye of the Pathfinder.

Is that what you mean, or are you suggesting a two-point bridle at the Pathfinder end?

at least a bridle from the tow boat. meant a two point bridle and see if needed rather than a one point. some boats do not like two points depending where they are attached on the boat being towed. need to try before hand. good and following seas, fin :)

On 6/21/2018 at 10:03 AM, z28jimi said:

I planned on a bridle from the towing boat to a shackle,

I towed a RF18 "once" never again, across to Bimini behind a 40 Bertem, and made a fatal mistake of NOT using a stainless steel shackle.  The galvanized one ate through the rope in rough seas....

A quick question...why are you considering towing it?  Why not just follow the tender....the amount of gas the tender will use is not insignificant and the speed it will take to slow down will most likely be considerable?  In calm seas you won't be able to do much more than 15 knots (or that's what we had to do)

dc

Good questions, for which I do not yet have firm answers. With the couple we think we'll be traveling with, there is some question as to the ability of either to pilot the Pathfinder across, due to the effects of advanced years. I don't want to entrust the "big boat" to them and pilot the PF myself, so the number of pilots to the number of boats to be piloted is a bit lopsided. Our crossing could be at speeds ranging from 15 or more knots down to 8 or 9 knots, depending on conditions, and depending on what the "big boat" turns out to be. (Still shopping.) My primary concern was whether or not I should be concerned about the relatively high tow attachment point on the PF being likely to cause the PF to stuff its nose if we get into some bumpy water. We may just elect to rent a boat to use as a beach-to-beach cruiser when we get there, and use the Highfield RIB as our go-to-town tender.

4 minutes ago, z28jimi said:

Good questions, for which I do not yet have firm answers. With the couple we think we'll be traveling with, there is some question as to the ability of either to pilot the Pathfinder across, due to the effects of advanced years. I don't want to entrust the "big boat" to them and pilot the PF myself, so the number of pilots to the number of boats to be piloted is a bit lopsided. Our crossing could be at speeds ranging from 15 or more knots down to 8 or 9 knots, depending on conditions, and depending on what the "big boat" turns out to be. (Still shopping.) My primary concern was whether or not I should be concerned about the relatively high tow attachment point on the PF being likely to cause the PF to stuff its nose if we get into some bumpy water. We may just elect to rent a boat to use as a beach-to-beach cruiser when we get there, and use the Highfield RIB as our go-to-town tender.

Are you considering the trailer towing bow eye to be a "relatively high tow attachment point?"  I don't see how you could get a "lower" attachment point?

On 6/25/2018 at 2:53 PM, JEM said:

Are you considering the trailer towing bow eye to be a "relatively high tow attachment point?"  I don't see how you could get a "lower" attachment point?

Yes. Many boats I've seen have a second, lower eye that is used for towing. Usually these are installed during hull layup with backing plates glassed in. On my PF, it may not be possible/feasible to add such a thing as a bolt-on.

At some point in it's life with a past owner, my 2200TE was set up for towing. The tow eye that was installed right above the waterline doesn't appear to be factory (though very well installed). Most of the "meat" of it is glassed in from the inside of the hull, with only the actual tow eye poking through. If the OP (or anybody else) is interested in having a tow eye installed, I can take some more pics of it from the inside.

IMG_0081.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Archived