Trailer Advice

Headhunter

So, finally getting to taking care of the boats after getting the house trashed by Irma. The trailers get parked on the side of the house and ended up in about 18 inches of water from the storm. I got the trailer out for the Maverick and found one bearing full of water. Replaced it, serviced and detailed the boat and it's back in the water.

The pathfinders trailer is another story. All of the wheels locked up from rusted pads, rotor and calipers. I finally got the wheels off and to turn a little but everything is caked in rust. I think my only choices are to replace everything or rebuild them. I only use the trailers a couple of times a year for service and go to the various OT and a couple of trips to the lagoon. So suggestions? Is it worth going stainless and will it solve this problem going forward or just *** it up?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Wi4lSBrzT7+BB78WCFIdiQ.jpg

KVkCqRO6RnGXQoaER47o2Q.jpg

gH+VTM2hSv+vvqq9oI19eQ.jpg

Wi4lSBrzT7+BB78WCFIdiQ.jpg

If you are not towing very much....I would take the brake calipers off, disconnect the lines , etc. If the bearings and hubs are bad from sitting in salt water....you can buy replacement hubs / bearings etc from E Trailer and simply replace them with standard hubs. I personally have tried to maintain my trailer with brakes, and My trailer gets dunked almost every weekend...it was a loosing battle. I bought new hubs, etc with no brakes and have had no problems. I have a tandem axle trailer, so it would have been new rotors, brakes, etc X 4. Too much money for it to sit in salt water.

Just make sure your truck has the stopping power to handle the weight. 

I also took the surge cylinder off the trailer tongue and replaced the large box with a standard 2" coupler , also from E Trailer. 

I know guys are going to chime in and say buy stainless rotors, calibers, etc....and that's a personal opinion. I have no problem towing my 22 Pathfinder on a dual torsion axle trailer with no brakes.  That's my two cents worth... JJ

2017 GMC 1500  crew cab 4 x 4.  5.3 V8.....no problem towing or stopping . We just recently returned from a trip to Islamorada last month....1200 miles round trip...no issues and most of the driving was on I-95. I repacked the bearings, took 2 spares and off we went....luckily, didn't have any problems. Most of my towing is local and only 5 or 10 miles.  

4 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

If you are not towing very much....I would take the brake calipers off, disconnect the lines , etc. If the bearings and hubs are bad from sitting in salt water....you can buy replacement hubs / bearings etc from E Trailer and simply replace them with standard hubs. I personally have tried to maintain my trailer with brakes, and My trailer gets dunked almost every weekend...it was a loosing battle. I bought new hubs, etc with no brakes and have had no problems. I have a tandem axle trailer, so it would have been new rotors, brakes, etc X 4. Too much money for it to sit in salt water.

Just make sure your truck has the stopping power to handle the weight. 

I also took the surge cylinder off the trailer tongue and replaced the large box with a standard 2" coupler , also from E Trailer. 

I know guys are going to chime in and say buy stainless rotors, calibers, etc....and that's a personal opinion. I have no problem towing my 22 Pathfinder on a dual torsion axle trailer with no brakes.  That's my two cents worth... JJ

X3 or 4.........I converted to torsion axels, no brakes, welded the surge cylinder, and tow with 2WD, 400,000 mi Tahoe. I’m careful, leave plenty of stopping distance, and have not come close to a “dicey” situation. I do put some weight in the back of the Tahoe if I know I’ll be using a steep, slippery ramp.

1 hour ago, conocean said:

FL Hwy Patrol officer told me that any boat trailer with a load of 3,000lbs+ must be equipped with brakes. 

Yep......Like anything where you are out of compliance....you don't need a tandem with brakes in compliance with the law, until such time as you are in a major accident, where there could be a large legal action suit and you are found negligable.

I ran a 22PF on a 5200 lb axel, the truck was fine and she stopped her fine....a F150.......but, I was always worried what if ???

DC

On June 19, 2018 at 2:41 PM, conocean said:

FL Hwy Patrol officer told me that any boat trailer with a load of 3,000lbs+ must be equipped with brakes. 

This is the law, not 3500... and as Conocean will probably tell you this is also what your insurance company (and maybe more importantly the person you may hit) insurance company goes by in Florida. 

Archived