New Bimini Top for 2200 TRS

RockyG

After a lot of research I  finally pulled the trigger on a new Bimini Top for my 2017 2200 TRS. I ordered a Carver brand top knowing that it would not fit exactly like I wanted it to, but I was also confident I could do some fabrication work to make it right.  

I ordered : 

Carver 7 oz. Sun-DURA Bimini Top in Black with Stainless hardware. 
Application: Height 60" Width 79"-84" Length 96" 

When the top arrived I was very pleased with the quality of the top and components. Everything was beefy and looked built to last. I had to narrow the entire top 2" so that it would fit between the gunnels but the results were worth the effort. 

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

• Like 4

You have a nice ride!!!!!  I have flirted several times with getting a bimini,  thinking I could use it during the hot summer when we are just using the boat for dinner runs and booze cruises and such, and still be able to take it off for serious fishing in the fall and winter.    I think you done good!

Looks good, Bimini tops are ugly for sure. But you sure do get over that quickly and learn to appreciate them once you have had one. I just had one made for my boat at AB Custom canvas. He works out of Central Florida Marine.  I use it when fishing with the family or fishing in Charlotte Harbour. If I am going down to Choko the top comes off and stays in the garage at home. To many tight spots in the back country with low overhanging mangroves to use it down there. 

97EF368A-4AA6-4449-A502-281601592CB6.jpeg

7235A49C-3D85-49D4-BFEF-9306669D7A86.jpeg

9A4FEE41-CCA4-4DC5-A434-FDF8198ADE1F.jpeg

A09F67CB-A1E5-4732-ACA8-04F14FA92C03.jpeg

• Like 1

never really understood the hate for biminis as I value functionality over aesthetics....the associated hardware (aka toe stubbers, short rippers, crud collectors...) i get.  However, over the last few years i seen numerous options for flush mount hardware with alleviates that hate.  Enjoy the shade and the boat sir!

That's a good looking top there Linesider. I like the Accon Marine quick disconnect hardware. I used the hardware that came with the SS upgrade package from Carver. Since mine is mounted inside the gunnels most of the hardware is in a corner and out of the way. The main center pivot mount will be a leg catcher so I plan to upgrade to the Accon hardware this fall.  

Thank you for the comments on the boat. I have owned flats skiffs for many many (many) years and recently bought a small older Bay boat as I'm getting too old to enjoy poling. Winning this boat has been a dream come true. 

I am in awe of some of the rigs I see on here........ the 22's like mine, and the 23's, 24's, 25's with 300's and all the toys. I'm sure you guys enjoy your  Pathfinders as much as I am enjoying mine. 

The second pic is my 80 year old Mom enjoying that Bimini top.  :)

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

• Like 2

Rocky, I think I saw you pulling out of the Lanark ramp on Sunday. Nice boat. I have a blue 2200V. Mine came with a factory bimini top but I never use it. Its stored in my carport. I feel like it gets in the way if you are fishing 2 or 3 guys and throwing top water all day. Enjoy your new ride. Next time I see you, I'll have to say hi. 

That was me for sure. We keep our RV down at Lanark several months of the year. Next time come over and say hello. Always happy to meet a fellow Pathy owner. 

And yes.......the Bimini really cannot be fished around. I only put it on the boat when it gets this hot, use it when running and eating lunch, and then drop it down to fish. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 3:23 PM, RockyG said:

After a lot of research I  finally pulled the trigger on a new Bimini Top for my 2017 2200 TRS. I ordered a Carver brand top knowing that it would not fit exactly like I wanted it to, but I was also confident I could do some fabrication work to make it right.  

I ordered : 

Carver 7 oz. Sun-DURA Bimini Top in Black with Stainless hardware. 
Application: Height 60" Width 79"-84" Length 96" 

When the top arrived I was very pleased with the quality of the top and components. Everything was beefy and looked built to last. I had to narrow the entire top 2" so that it would fit between the gunnels but the results were worth the effort. 

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

FWIW, I think it looks great.  I’m going to a Bimini for mine after realizing I don’t want to to spend the money on a ttop. 

• Like 2

I ordered the top from Coverquest.com. Just under $660 shipped.

I had to narrow the width by 2 inches to get it to fit down between the gunnels as you can see in the pics. I removed 1" from each end of the 4 bows that span left to right and relocated the screws that hold it together. Pretty simple, it's aluminium tube that's easy to cut and drill. 

I have used the top a lot in the last few weeks and it's been awesome. 

That looks really nice! I simply stopped fishing in the summer for the most part. I'm an inshore/artificial guy and the fishing in the summer just isn't worth it to me anymore. I must say I'll stick 'em in the grass when we have flood tides (next week and through October). Having a wife and 2.5 year old that love boating as much as I do, I give them the summers cruising and hitting the sandbar and I take the 'miserable' winters for fishing....schooled up reds, oh darn. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BradM said:

That looks really nice! I simply stopped fishing in the summer for the most part. I'm an inshore/artificial guy and the fishing in the summer just isn't worth it to me anymore. I must say I'll stick 'em in the grass when we have flood tides (next week and through October). Having a wife and 2.5 year old that love boating as much as I do, I give them the summers cruising and hitting the sandbar and I take the 'miserable' winters for fishing....schooled up reds, oh darn. 

sounds a lot like my world!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey Rocky. The bimini looks great. When the bimini is lain down does it cover the stern compartments on the TRS? Also I have a low bridge I have to negotiate in order to get out of my creek. How long and how difficult is it to raise and lower?

DQ

It is sooooo easy to put up a Caveman can do it.   lol 

Literally  less than 30 seconds and it' up. Takes about the same time to drop, then a good minute of wrestling and cussing to get the cover boot back on.  lol 

One of the best things I ever added to the boat.  

See below my 82 year old Mom enjoying the top.  :)

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1206_(2).JPG

• 2 years later...
On 6/21/2018 at 10:58 AM, D-linesider said:

Looks good, Bimini tops are ugly for sure. But you sure do get over that quickly and learn to appreciate them once you have had one. I just had one made for my boat at AB Custom canvas. He works out of Central Florida Marine.  I use it when fishing with the family or fishing in Charlotte Harbour. If I am going down to Choko the top comes off and stays in the garage at home. To many tight spots in the back country with low overhanging mangroves to use it down there. 

97EF368A-4AA6-4449-A502-281601592CB6.jpeg

7235A49C-3D85-49D4-BFEF-9306669D7A86.jpeg

9A4FEE41-CCA4-4DC5-A434-FDF8198ADE1F.jpeg

A09F67CB-A1E5-4732-ACA8-04F14FA92C03.jpeg

On 7/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, RockyG said:

It is sooooo easy to put up a Caveman can do it.   lol 

Literally  less than 30 seconds and it' up. Takes about the same time to drop, then a good minute of wrestling and cussing to get the cover boot back on.  lol 

One of the best things I ever added to the boat.  

See below my 82 year old Mom enjoying the top.  :)

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1206_(2).JPG

On 6/21/2018 at 11:58 AM, D-linesider said:

Bimini tops are ugly for sure.

And, one more thing.  Did you know that light blue attracts those hard biting, very large flies that some call "Green Heads" or Deer Flies.  Here in Georgia, they appear in late May and June.  Here is how I found out...

We were in Africa photographing wildlife a bunch of years ago.  We were in Botswana and although near the equator, it gets cold at night.  Laurie brought along a ski parka/vest that was light blue in color.  A couple of days in, we kept seeing small, tent-like structures on the hills.  They were all light blue in color.  We asked our guides what they were.  "They are tsetse fly traps.  The flies are attracted by the color and when they go inside they are poisoned." said the guide.  I hadn't seen Laurie take off her clothes that fast since our 3rd date back in 1985!

If you don't know what a tsetse fly is, google it.

Now fast forward to a few years ago here on the Georgia Coast where I volunteer to photograph our wild Dolphins for research by Savannah State University Dolphin Lab.  They got a new Bimini top for the 22 foot Whaler we use for research.  The top was blue.  It was in June and Dr Tara Cox, the head of the lab was complaining about the large numbers of Green Heads that were joining us on the boat.  I told her the Botswana story.  Their new top is red, I believe.

Keep that insect repellant handy!

Africa

964283379_TwoGiraffs.thumb.jpg.df290d8a3930be10c97ca62b93ccc288.jpg

img081.thumb.jpg.e9863c46569aed9d0aa0d00c52ea75d9.jpg

GA Dolphins

798920649_DolphinSurvey-3.thumb.jpg.0fba4212542646f2502fd485b3bda0a1.jpg

On 7/14/2018 at 10:54 PM, Malbrew said:

Don't mean to steal your thread, but I'm looking to put a bimini forward of the T-top for the family trips on a 2600.  Has anyone have one?

thanks for any info...

Yes my brother did n his 02 22v. Plenty of shade. They also have an extend a shade that slides n and out from the underside f a t top. See action welding or google it. Can do it in the front or back of t top. Their called t top extenders or extend a shade. Do not take up any room nor can be seen when not in use. About the same cost f a custom made Bimini. I made one for my last boat to shade the aft seating area. 32’ express cruiser, sorry no photos with it up. Worked great.

3B2E7628-66CD-4793-A4A8-FABDBA277406.jpeg

EA894985-EC38-4170-AEAB-12195701C3E0.jpeg