T-Top color for Ice Blue Pathfinder

East Coast Dave

I'm going to have a T-Top installed on my Pathfinder.  The boat is Ice Blue.  I'm trying to get an idea of what color would look the best. I was thinking black which would match the motor but I was concerned about it being too hot?  Any pics you might have would be helpful if you have an Ice blue hull. Thanks. 

Take a look at Weblon fabric for the top..  It is white on top, and comes in many colors on the bottom.. Definitely cooler than the dark blue Sunbrella top I had on my other TTop. I am in SE Florida, and the top was hot in the summer sitting still.

I have an ice blue hull.. I chose the  ttop weblon material in white over light blue.  Fashion choice, you know. 

Bernie is right tho... The gray bottom side cuts glare better than the light blue.

Mod M

It depends on how close your head is to the canvas. My black Sunbrella is very hot (110 degrees?) within 8 inches or so of the bottom of the fabric on a sunny day down here in Miami. If you're underway, it isn't an issue. If you are sitting still, you definitely notice the heat. I will eventually change the fabric to something lighter or paint the top of the canvas white.

The reason I went with black ( on my seafoam green PF22) is that  sunlight is reflected off the boat's deck and upward to the underside of the T-top, and if that's a light color, the light is reflected back down.  In addition, in many years of boating I found it's really not cooler under a light colored T-top.

As mentioned, I have a black t top and just had a boat with a white (fiberglass skin) t tip. I have never noticed the black getting hot but this thread had me thinking I was gonna cook my brain and should wear a foil hat . So I took mine out yesterday so tried something. At 1pm it was 93* and weather channel app said it felt like 101*.  I cautiously put my hand up to my black t top and could feel some heat about 2-3 inches away. Tried it a few times and below that, I could feel absolutely nothing.

Just as I suspected...No way heat is being transferred that far down to people below. 

55 minutes ago, justfish said:

As mentioned, I have a black t top and just had a boat with a white (fiberglass skin) t tip. I have never noticed the black getting hot but this thread had me thinking I was gonna cook my brain and should wear a foil hat . So I took mine out yesterday so tried something. At 1pm it was 93* and weather channel app said it felt like 101*.  I cautiously put my hand up to my black t top and could feel some heat about 2-3 inches away. Tried it a few times and below that, I could feel absolutely nothing.

Just as I suspected...No way heat is being transferred that far down to people below. 

Your not 6' 5" are you? A black (or dark color) top definitely draws more heat than a white one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived