New Redfisher 18 / Introduction

soflah3

Hey Gang!

Thought I would sign up and introduce myself after stalking your forum for a number of months! In the midst of purchasing a new Atlantic Blue Hull and Cosole Redfisher 18. Super excited to join the Maverick family. I have owned 2 different Sailfish CC in the past 12 years and sold my 2008 2660 earlier this year. It was a well used boat with nearly 2500 hours on the clock and 27000 miles on the hull! Since then I have been crawling over all sorts of bay boats, skiffs and flats boats and was continually drawn back to the Redfisher. Last week my local dealer received the boat I’m purchasing and I had a “have to have it” moment  : ) 

I put a deposit on it and patiently waited for a weather window for a sea trail which came yesterday. All went well and looking to take delivery the middle of next week. Looking forward to the mobility of a smaller boat and the chance to get around the state a bit and fish some different waters. 

Boat at is powered by a 115 SHO which seems like the perfect balance of power and efficiency. Came from the factory with a power pole and Garmin 741xs. I will be adding a trolling motor in the future but wanted to see exactly how I fish it before making a decision. 

Look forward to getting involved with this forum and contribute when I can! 

Tom from West Palm Beach

E8D15C1D-613B-43F1-BB3A-47D660068D0F.jpeg

8543F95A-D2C2-4AE2-8B77-D957E858C63E.jpeg

RF18 was my first MHP product....depending on your situation, you might want them to just add the TM and battery set up as well as the on-board charger etc. while it's still at the dealer....I see your up in WPB....unless you plan on Poling a lot, the trolling motor set up is the way to go...this way you have all your warranty work at one place...lots of good info on this, but, many go with DEKA series 27's and the Ulterra MK with 80 trust changes everything in how you can fish and move up and down shorelines...welcome to the forum.

DC

2 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

RF18 was my first MHP product....depending on your situation, you might want them to just add the TM and battery set up as well as the on-board charger etc. while it's still at the dealer....I see your up in WPB....unless you plan on Poling a lot, the trolling motor set up is the way to go...this way you have all your warranty work at one place...lots of good info on this, but, many go with DEKA series 27's and the Ulterra MK with 80 trust changes everything in how you can fish and move up and down shorelines...welcome to the forum.

DC

Great info and I have been spending quite a bit of time thinking about taking delivery with trolling motor installed. Good part is that the boat came from the factory with a 3 bank charger installed  and trolling motor plug under the front hatch. I would imagine it would be a fairly painless process to mount the quick release mount and add the extra battery. (I have a 2 battery system already). My dealer is less than 5 minutes from me so that is a huge bonus!

Can't answer the trolling motor length question, I was just wondering if you can record yourself drilling into a brand new boat. If your married throw the wifey in there too, we want to see her expression. Ahh the excitement of drilling your first hole, measure 15 times drill once. Best of luck with the new boat and welcome to the forum.  

18 hours ago, soflah3 said:

I have a 2 battery system already

NO, it's not easy depending on where they are located....and requires a bit of electrical knowledge...I don't know you abilities so I'm just saying..it will most likely required adding some additional wiring and insuring the system is set up for 24V.

If it were me, and I was buying a new RF18, I'd just have them do it all and spend your time enjoying the boat....and this comes from someone who has torn apart 4 skiffs over time...I did alot of work on my RF18......I completely rewired and plumbed my PF22, rewired and installed an entire system on a Pathfinder 17T, with dual power poles, Ulterra etc. and now re-outfitting a MA17 classic 1995.

18 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Can't answer the trolling motor length question, I was just wondering if you can record yourself drilling into a brand new boat. If your married throw the wifey in there too, we want to see her expression. Ahh the excitement of drilling your first hole, measure 15 times drill once. Best of luck with the new boat and welcome to the forum.  

LOL...Muddy......but, remember, it's only gelcoat and can always be fixed with some fiberglass and gel :)

Regarding the TM lenght, like all masculine things.......longer is better....gives you flexibility in a chop....60" should work on your system....BTW, a MK service center for a few $$$ can always cut it down smaller....if it's not what you want...

Have fun and enjoy the skiff....the RF18 was my first mistress....I went bigger Pf22, then tiny Pathy 17, and now back in my last skiff the MA17-a classic I will be Pimping for a while.

DC

5 hours ago, Beak Boater said:

Heres mine. Looks familiar? Not the SHO just a regular F115, but I love fishing this boat, perfect for the inshore waters around Matlacha and Charlotte Harbor.20170817_140707.thumb.jpg.290644d9f6be28bec957306935a5cc44.jpg

What a great looking rig in the water!  Now the delivery date seems forever away

Here's a pic of a good friend of mine's Redfish 18......the RF's are great boats. This boat is exceptionally fast and handles like a sports car compared to my Pathfinder. He decided to go with the SHO 150.  I would definitely put the trolling motor on here now, these boats are not very "poling" friendly as compared to the smaller MA's. 

IMG_1040.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tom and welcome.

Have you  considered taking the factory tour? I was able to take the tour earlier this year and was actually there the day my hull & deck came together. Got to meet the Guys that were building my boat. Charlie Johnson at MBG does a great job not only with the tour but as a resource afterwards. He's a great ambassador for the brand

This is our 2nd RF18, we had a 2013 and  now the 2018 I can't believe the improvements 5 years made. We love our new RF and we loved our previous RF as well.

Best of luck to you,

Glenn

8.jpg

IMG_4047 (1).JPG

Thanks Glen! 

Beautiful rigs!  I appreciate the welcome. 

I am planning on doing the factory tour sometime in the next couple months. (Up in North Carolina for most of July) Can’t wait to do it. I always enjoy seeing how something comes together and have a point of contact is key. 

My boat is having initial service done, a few minor punch list items and a new Minn Kota Terrova trolling motor installed while I’m gone. Getting excited to get back and getting on the boat again. 

Hi Tom, 

I'm so envious regarding the trolling motor. I go in for my 20 hour tomorrow and wish I was adding the TM. Is that the 24V w/gps?

If you don’t mind, what prop are you running and are you happy with it? I’m currently using a 3 blade 13 1/8 X 19” pitch and while top end is excellent at 47 mph the hole shot is not good so we’re changing it out for a 4 blade 18” clever style. 

Nice chatting with you.

Glenn

8 hours ago, GlennF said:

Hi Tom, 

I'm so envious regarding the trolling motor. I go in for my 20 hour tomorrow and wish I was adding the TM. Is that the 24V w/gps?

If you don’t mind, what prop are you running and are you happy with it? I’m currently using a 3 blade 13 1/8 X 19” pitch and while top end is excellent at 47 mph the hole shot is not good so we’re changing it out for a 4 blade 18” clever style. 

Nice chatting with you.

Glenn

Glen,

Yes, 24 volt 60” with the iPilot. Super excited to have it on the boat. This whole inshore fishery is relatively new to me but I quickly learned that it would be very beneficial in several different scenarios. 

Regarding prop, I think that I have the same 3 blade on the boat as you and I’m not thrilled with the hole shot either. In fact, that was one of my punch list items as it almost acts like it’s starving for fuel when full throttle is applied from stop. Let me know your results with 4 blade!

Tom

7 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

soflah, where in NC are you?

Mills River just outside Asheville. Absolutely love this area! Been fly fishing for trout with some success and hiking almost daily. Nice break from the south Florida heat we have this time of year 

Archived