Theft deterrents

justfish

Looking for options to secure boat. I realize that stopping a thief when they want something is probably difficult at best but a series of steps might just send them on to an easier target. I’d like to hear some options others are using. 

I purchased the equipment lock wheel “boot” conocean recommended in a past thread, unfortunately it won’t work for me. With my trailer brakes, it would only seat itself where the lugs were easily reached behind the lugnut shield.  After talking with them at length, they sent me a return label and I’m back on the hunt. Good company to deal with, just not as secure as I want after just having boat stolen. 

I upgraded the tongue lock and am putting in security cameras soon but curious what else is out there. Anyone using any tracking devices? Spot seems reasonable for first year, then skyrockets to almost $400 a year

My buddy has a 30' Spectre racing cat.  He had a heavy gauge steel box built that covers and locks to his coupler.  You would need to grind for quite a while to get it off.  The lock goes up inside of it like an FPL gate.  He also has an "FPL style" gate built in front of the boat, cameras and a GPS tracker hidden in the boat. 

I have custom made cables (very large around 5/8" diameter).  I wrap them around the axle, trailer and steel pole to my boat barn.  My locks are very big master locks.  No way to cut either with cutters.  You would have to grind for quite a while.  I then use a coupler lock and coupler cover from master lock. 

I went through the same search process after I purchased my boat.  After a lot of searching and research I came across this wheel boot that fit what I was looking for and was highly recommended by those persons who owned one.  http://brahmalock.com  I decided to give it a try and am happy with the purchase.  It is very solidly made and the shield covers my lug nuts securely.  The shield is adjustable to fit many different wheel styles.  They also sell a shallower shield for those persons with aluminum wheels.  The only downside is you have to order it from Canada, although there are a few dealers located in the United States.  I called the company before I ordered and the owner was there and answered all of my questions.

I have brakes on my trailer and it fits fine.  It does take a little time to put on in the beginning but once you figure it out it is pretty quick.  There are some minimum clearance requirements between tires and trailer and tires and fender.  

2 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Hmmm ....

I know a guy who can make those coupler boxes .

Hmmmm ....

🇺🇸☠️

Ralph got any pics? Or can explain it a little better?   I can’t envision how it is secured.

Thanks Silver King, I’ll call then next week  

On 6/15/2018 at 8:30 PM, silverking said:

I went through the same search process after I purchased my boat.  After a lot of searching and research I came across this wheel boot that fit what I was looking for and was highly recommended by those persons who owned one.  http://brahmalock.com  I decided to give it a try and am happy with the purchase.  It is very solidly made and the shield covers my lug nuts securely.  The shield is adjustable to fit many different wheel styles.  They also sell a shallower shield for those persons with aluminum wheels.  The only downside is you have to order it from Canada, although there are a few dealers located in the United States.  I called the company before I ordered and the owner was there and answered all of my questions.

I have brakes on my trailer and it fits fine.  It does take a little time to put on in the beginning but once you figure it out it is pretty quick.  There are some minimum clearance requirements between tires and trailer and tires and fender.  

Price including shipping?

I park mine next to garage with a motion detector on a double LED flood light..and a game camera on nearby tree .I do have a tongue lock...but it could probably be cut with a grinding wheel...however, I have a sign on trailer jack that's says " if you can read this sign, you are on camera...Day or night...so you decide, are you going to walk away... If you stand here too long I will let the dog out who has been trained to eat human testicles. " 2nd option: I shoot you !  " 

so far...nobody even pulls into the driveway.

I like IP cameras that send your phone a snapshot by text or email when they sense motion in preset zones of the picture.  A cellular router in the vehicle could connect a couple of IP cameras to the web and alert you in real-time.  A sign stating that there are surveillance cameras in use would be a deterrent as well.

Based on my experience in the yacht & boat insurance industry for the past 20 years, trailered vessel theft is nearly nil when one or more trailer wheels is made inoperable by attaching a device that would take a thief considerable time to remove. There isn't any chain, cable or lock available that takes more than a few minutes to pick, cut or weld thru. Insurance data shows that thieves will rarely target a boat that takes more than a few minutes to steal.

Motion lights, cameras, dogs, etc are great deterrents but keep in mind that thieves can be armed and confronting them while in the act could lead to a life changing situation. On the other hand, there's a reason many thieves choose to do their dirty work unarmed. Why? Because unarmed thieves that are caught hire attorneys to work their cases based on weapon laws when they are held against their will at gunpoint. My friend who works in the state attorney office sees this all the time and the thief is back on the streets within weeks. I'm no attorney but apparently none of us have full legal immunity to draw our weapons &/or shoot anyone unless our lives are in danger. It's disgusting! 

A case study I read showed a homeowner who shot a thief while stealing a camper in his driveway and the homeowner served 2 years in prison. The castle doctrine was found not applicable in that case since the thief was unarmed and did not threaten harm to the homeowner. The only thing the homeowner could've done legally was to stop, apprehend and hold the thief against his will until police arrived. Perhaps a stun gun would've been the perfect solution in that situation. (hint, hint!) 

Disabling a trailer wheel seems like the most sensible way to prevent my boat from being stolen and avoiding confrontation in my driveway. I really like the coupler box idea too!! Please post pics of that if you can Lap it Up.  

• 7 months later...

I keep mine in the garage so no problem at home.  When I travel and stay in a motel I use a game camera that sends a pic to my phone within a minute.  I mount the camera in the rear sliding window just opened enough that it picks up motion and heat and takes the pic.  It's not open enough to get the camera out though.  It did wake me up a couple times but it was just someone walking by. 

On the serious note, it’s a shame we have to go through so much to keep anyone from taking what’s not theirs. My last new boat ( 20 years ago) was stolen out of a locked boat storage area by 2 guys who had stolen a truck from a nearby apartment complex. The noise of my boat hitting the fence woke up a couple who then called the police. With 5 police cars chasing after them, they rolled both the truck and boat and trailer. Those in Jax are familiar with Southside Blvd/ Arlington Expressway. The 2 bailed and ran and were never apprehended. I had not even made the first payment on the boat! The boat and trailer spent it’s first year and a half being repaired at Beaches Marina while I continued making payments on it! State Farm would not renew after that repair! So now with my new Hewes, I’m very protective of her. Besides all the cameras with night vision, I fold and chain the trailer tongue, plus 2 locks on the receiver, as well as a wheel lock! If they attempt to steal this one, they’ll have to work on it for a bit. I’ll be awake by then!

Just fish, I see your a firefighter as well ( I’ve been retired for 2 years) how about a lock box large enough for the receiver? Lock box like they keep outside of all stations? But I’m sold on wheel locks!

What kind of cameras are you guys using?  Are they portable where you can set up at home and take with you on trips for using at a Hotel or rental?  

I like the thought of a trail cam that shoots the photos to you but have heard of IP cameras kind of the same but alert you to movement and then you can click on the video.

I'm not far away from putting up cameras at my office and home.  Just got to find the right equipment and setup.  

Archived