Bimini Run

Luke Sutter

Planning on taking my 2400 TRS to Bimini next weekend, and wanted to see how many others have taken their Pathfinders across...

I’ve had my bayboat out 55 miles offshore fishing out of Clearwater, but the Gulfstream is another animal.  I wouldn’t cross in a North wind, but I’m thinking the normal SE Summer wind under 15 knots and under 3’ seas, I should be fine. EPIRB and trolling gear a must just Incase we have to go there slow in moderate chop! 

Since my Pathfinder is newer to me, I’m curious how others have done offshore in their bayboats in what kind of conditions.

5 hours ago, Luke Sutter said:

Planning on taking my 2400 TRS to Bimini next weekend, and wanted to see how many others have taken their Pathfinders across...

I’ve had my bayboat out 55 miles offshore fishing out of Clearwater, but the Gulfstream is another animal.  I wouldn’t cross in a North wind, but I’m thinking the normal SE Summer wind under 15 knots and under 3’ seas, I should be fine. EPIRB and trolling gear a must just Incase we have to go there slow in moderate chop! 

Since my Pathfinder is newer to me, I’m curious how others have done offshore in their bayboats in what kind of conditions.

I ran my 23 Dusky over to Bimini many times years ago....heck, guyz have run jet ski's.....

A 24 TRS is fine under normal conditions....

My only advice.....

1.) Going over is easy....you know how to get there....be sure you have a "compass" on the boat, in case you loose a GPS do to whatever reason....know your heading out of your port and it's had to miss.  

2.) Leave early from florida - first light is best due to water conditions.

3.) Be sure you have an extra RACOR filter you can see through in the event you get bad gas in Bimini with water

4.) HERE IS THE KEY !!! Do not plan on doing anything important, big business meetings, fly out, something really important on the day after you return - going is one thing, returning is another as the weather can change....ALWAYS GIVE  YOURSELF AT LEAST A TWO DAY WINDOW TO RETURN TO BE SAFE.    Do not risk leaving on a bad day and think it will be "better" closer to Florida - it only gets worse.

5.) Leave Bimini early in the a.m. on your return day....full tank of fuel....mornings normally are calm back on the crossing....I made a mistake and the kids wanted to have "one more trip to the beach" and we left after 12PM....WRONG !!! BY THE TIME WE WERE 20 MILES OFF FORT LAUDERDALE...THERE WAS A WALL OF THUNDERSTORMS  AS FAR AS I COULD SEE....

I called FLL SeaTow about 15 miles out and asked for a RADAR reading (no special phone at the time) and they said it was bad from Boynton to Key Largo, but, there was a gap around Key Biscayne....we had to run South out of  the way to Miami (our port was FLL) and found the gap and ran through it around MIami Channel....it took us 2 more hours to get home....

Take lots of water, file a float plan, and enjoy !!!!

dc

All good advice!

Also, leave nothing on the boat that has value when you dock overnight. Prop & lower unit locks can’t hurt. Make certain you & your guests have passports. Clear customs upon arrival. 

Make sure your insurance policy includes coverage for the Bahamas. Many policies won’t extend navigation outside of US waters on vessels under 27’. 

Have a great time!

My brother-in-law and I were just talking yesterday about a guy he worked with at Bob Hewes Boats that had a 17' Aquasport. Every Friday during the summer he ran to Bimini right after work, were talking in the 80's. Of course some Monday's he was late to work usually or would just show up on Tuesday when the weather was bad.

Have fun, sounds like you know what's needed. Don't wait to get ice on a weekend as well on the island, it goes quick! 

True story.

My first crossing, about 35 years ago, I took a 21 Bayliner cuddy from West Palm to Walkers with my wife onboard.  I pulled up to the dock at Walkers, tied up, and jumped up on the dock.  There was a grizzled looking old salt standing there .  He looked at the boat, looked at me, then asked if I crossed over in that boat.  I swelled up with pride, and with my chest poking out, proudly answered yep, I sure did!  The old salt took another slow look down at the boat, then looked back at me and asked.......”You got a death wish or what?”

This was before I knew better!

2 hours ago, conocean said:

All good advice!

Also, leave nothing on the boat that has value when you dock overnight. Prop & lower unit locks can’t hurt. Make certain you & your guests have passports. Clear customs upon arrival. 

Make sure your insurance policy includes coverage for the Bahamas. Many policies won’t extend navigation outside of US waters on vessels under 27’. 

Have a great time!

Hopefully I don’t have to worry too much about theft in Resort World, but you never know.  I actually had to cancel my Progressive policy and go with another carrier to cover me.

Thanks!

I worked with Roman Butters of Bronson Insurnace Group, Marine Industries.  Check him out on Facebook.  He’s a marine guru and also quite funny, not to mention he saved me a few bucks and got me more coverage.  I believe the insurance company is Gallagher Charter Lakes.

12 hours ago, Luke Sutter said:

Hopefully I don’t have to worry too much about theft in Resort World, but you never know.  I actually had to cancel my Progressive policy and go with another carrier to cover me.

Thanks!

You may want to do a little research.

BOLO: 36-foot T-top stolen from Bimini

Date Posted: 2016-08-17
Source: Boat Theft and Security Information Facebook

Bimini-BOLO.jpgA 36-foot Contender model T-top with three 300-hp Yamaha engines was stolen from The Marina at Resorts World Bimini between 10pm an 11pm Friday 12th, 2016, according to a Boat Theft and Security Information Facebook post. Boat name is White Water. If seen, please contact your local police or the Bimini Police Station.

Many of the recent thefts in the Bahamas have been for the outboard engines; however, in some cases the boats have been used for smuggling migrants or drugs to Florida.

Thefts in Bahamas on center console vessels has always been an issue and it's getting worse. I've seen it happen at all of the major marinas throughout the entire Bahamian chain. If I were taking a fancy center console to the Bahamas I would make sure the motors were equipped with prop & lower unit locks, steering ram locks, ignition disable unit &/or theft tracking device. This is widely suggested info by all agents with experience handling boat theft claims in the Bahamas. 

There is a reason many insurance companies won't insure for the Bahamas.

Many of the out islands have been having issues. Bimini isn't as bad as there is so much activity going on all night. I have given up on the Bahamas. Prices/VAT taxes, fuel prices for bad fuel and so on. It's really a shame their economy is so bad. It sure ain't what it used to be.

11 minutes ago, JEM said:

Maybe the Chinese can straighten it out!:D

They want to try.

My fishing buddies are in San Sal at Riding Rock right now. The pulled their 34V Freeman Cat behind the 63 Bayliss at 30 knots all the way. They never leave either boat unattended. They are killing the big Wahoo and have caught several Blues.

Just now, Capt. Troy said:

They want to try.

My fishing buddies are in San Sal at Riding Rock right now. The pulled their 34V Freeman Cat behind the 63 Bayliss at 30 knots all the way. They never leave either boat unattended. They are killing the big Wahoo and have caught several Blues.

To the OP many times they just tow the boats they steal and strip them leave the hull, or scuttle it. Of course they do the same thing in Miami.

Before GPS back in the day mid 70’s we would leave super early out of government cut in Miami head out the chalks air plane would fly over head and we would readjust our heading while it was still dark we could pick up the Bimini blinking light that use to put a smile on our face. Way back in the day the capt of the boat would get id’s from who ever was with you and they would walk you to customs to pay a diff amount every trip . Back than gas was way more than in Miami .  That trip can get rough in a hurry or be a sheet of glass smooth . We would head home before sun up and you could see the glow of lights from Miami about half way . When I was in my early 20’s we did things that I wouldn’t dream of doing in my 60’s not sure if I am smarter or more chicken . 48-50 miles of open water to South Bimini check the weather check the weather and check the weather.  Joe R 

22 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

They want to try.

Best and most consistent fishing in all the Bahamas around San  Sal and Rum!!!!  I guess it's a rough life, but somebody's gotta do it!

6 minutes ago, dabear said:

Before GPS back in the day mid 70’s we would leave super early out of government cut in Miami head out the chalks air plane would fly over head and we would readjust our heading while it was still dark we could pick up the Bimini blinking light that use to put a smile on our face. Way back in the day the capt of the boat would get id’s from who ever was with you and they would walk you to customs to pay a diff amount every trip . Back than gas was way more than in Miami .  That trip can get rough in a hurry or be a sheet of glass smooth . We would head home before sun up and you could see the glow of lights from Miami about half way . When I was in my early 20’s we did things that I wouldn’t dream of doing in my 60’s not sure if I am smarter or more chicken . Joe R 

If you are like me, a heaping combination of both!

I just got back from the Bahamas last week, we took a 27' Contender over and back.  The crossing, both ways, was flat.  There were rain storms around each day, so radar or Sirrus weather comes in handy.

Fuel was $5 a gallon.

The fishing was good and the clear water was amazing.

Archived