General “what price” question

HewesYourDaddy

I’ve got a custom built Sage RPLXB 8 wt fly rod that has been in the saltwater 2 times. It resides in its sock and tube and is getting no use. I know what they used to cost and the RPLX series were some of the more sought after rods by Sage. This was a custom build and was a present from  former family member who is an incredible fly fisherman and rod collector. Any help in pricing this for sale is greatly appreciated. I can take pictures later today if needed, but this rod is MINT! 

Wish I could help with the price.  Just from building my own rods I can tell you that while the blank is a factor in the cost it is the components that are on the blank drive the cost as much if not more than the blank itself.  It also depends on how it is wrapped.

Mulligan, understood. As far as I know, the components are pretty good. The peraon who built it didnt like to do things cheaply, but i imagine he didnt put the highest priced pieces that were avail at the time. He was giving this rod away, not building for his personal use. I will take some pics this afternoon and let others be the judge. Im not upnto date on my fly rod components any more. Thanks for the response. 

Dave, believe me, i am torn between selling and not selling.  I told myself I would never sell it.  I just never use it and feel guilty that it just sits in the rod tube in a corner. It truly is a nice rod. If you knew the person that made it, you would understand the quality and attention to detail he puts into his rods. 

to be honest it isnt worth much maybe $100, you might as well keep it and use it in my opinion if its valuable to you.. that rod technology is about 15 years old, not saying its bad I have some RPLXs in the stash myself, but I am in the same boat so to speak I might as well keep them bc they arnt worth much.

They are like a TV;  a 50in flat screen one that weighs 120lbs used to be the cream of the crop 15 years ago, now you have to pay someone to come and get it working or not. 

Archived