Kevlar LT20 keel repairs

Bever

I have a new project. It's a Kevlar LT20. So far I can see it will need keel repairs, new hull paint new wiring inside the console at the least. I have no experience limited funds and will be taking this slow. My first question is does anyone here have experience with working on these Kevlar hulls? Is there agreement as to how to make keel repairs? Is it imperative to use Kevlar and epoxy or can one use fibergl*** and epoxy? I'm going to have it done at American boat works, but would like to know from others what experience there is with materials and technique. I look forward to any and all input. Hilltides@gmail.com

1373121440-image.jpg.efbbb0904f413c4e820

1373121689-image.jpg.6b59f7ef6b1d6661568

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks finnattic i have to say, I checked with lots of people and was having difficulty finding someone I felt comfortable with. Kevin Horn at American boat works. And so far he has proven to be a standup guy and really knows what he's doing! I'm very pleased so far. image_zps3d7eca33.jpgimage_zps4e6dfd4c.jpg[/url

I had the same reaction. I was unsure if i liked it when they sent me the same pics you said we're avocado. Then I got the hull/bow picture and felt better. I still haven't seen it in person . All 3 pictures were after the painting is all done. They are just under different lighting. Ill send more pictures when I get it back. The color is from Gause. I showed Kevin at American boat works a pic of a gause with this color. He was able to go to Gause and they shared the color code with him. He has been very easy to work with! I may pick it up Friday after work. I have to say...I'm sure it will look different in the water and on the trailer and in early morning etc... It's growing on me...even avocado version....

Can you post or Pm me the rough cost of the job they did? Curious.

I purchased an LT20 in similar condition as yours....(heavy oxidation and a few scratches)

I took the self - hand sand on a bucket route...Lots of hours on the bucket, but less expense...and I got my original color and shine back.....

1374146102-SPEC0789-webr.jpg.7c3299ef551

This boat had previously been painted and had previous repairs as well as being in need of repairs. The previous repairs used materials that trapped moisture under the repair. As the boat was sanded moisture began to show coming out of the repaired areas. So more extensive prep was required. I'm interested in having the topside done at a later date. I'm short on money right now and just want to get on the water so the deck will have to wait. I will likely try to do something on the topside my self over the winter. Compounding maybe? I'm impressed with your work. If you get a chance I'd like to see more of your boat pics bait tank..

Archived