HPX Gunnel Carpet Removal and Fix Suggestions

Colorado Matt

Hello,

I am removing the deteriorating carpet on the gunnels of my 2005 Maverick HPXT and I'm seeking suggestions and advice on how to properly refinish those areas. I no longer want any carpet on the boat.  

My preference is Seadek.  Unfortunately, the gunnel surfaces are raw fiberglass under the carpet, and will need gel coating and painting before the Seadek can be installed.  Is gel coating and painting these areas a DIY project for a relatively handy guy?  I've restored vehicles, including bodywork and painting them, in the past, but I've never worked with fiberglass.  Or, is this  a job best left to a professional?

Any suggestions on the rod holders?  Currently, they are painted wood with strips of carpet glued to the curved surfaces where the rods sit.  Should I glass and gel coat them as well?  If so, will Seadek stick well enough to the tight curves of the rod holders to provide protection for the rods and reels?  Or, do you have a better idea?  

If any of you have tackled this or a similar project, and have pics and/or insights, please do share.  

Thanks in advance,

Matt

I’m curious about this as well. I was thinking just jump into it though. Cause I was going to do the inside of my hatch lids also . They are unfinished as well. But should just be able to use a chip brush to apply multiple coats of gel coat sand then paint. I’ve got more time than money though so . 

Jscann,

Thanks for your reply.  I've watched a few videos on gel coating, and it doesn't look too difficult.  My biggest concern is color matching the paint, since there will be small areas of the gunnels that the Seadek won't cover.  

BTW, here's an example pic of the areas I'm going to Seadek from the Castaway Customs website.  Only mine will be done in mocha over black in the faux teak pattern (second pic).  I think it should look sharp, and best of all will get rid of the crummy carpet.  

Good luck and I hope you document your project here.  

Matt

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 12.32.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 12.32.33 PM.png

The Maverick picture you posted from the Castaway Customs site is a later model HPX-V and has a different under gunnel rod holder layout than what you have.  You might want to reach out to them and ask for a picture of a HPX-T that they have installed that is closer to your model year boat.  Just a thought.

Hi Compton,

Yes, my rod holders are different than those pictured, but are generally in the same spots.   Below is a pic of what mine look like.  

Since I'm gel coating under the gunnels anyway,  I'm considering removing the original rod holders (not the ideal design, IMO) and installing more modern versions in the same locations.  Any recommendations are welcomed.  

I'm dealing with Ryan at Castaway.  I will reach out to him for suggestions as well.  

Matt

maverick_hpx18_0606.jpg

Ah yes I see what you mean now.  I agree with you, the older HPX rod holders can be improved on.  Sounds like you've got a fun project ahead of you, post some finished pics if you dont mind, it'd be nice to see how it turns out.  I am about to pull the trigger on replacing the unraveling carpet on mine with Seadek as well. 

I will certainly keep this thread updated the best I can.  I live in Colorado and my boat stays on Sanibel Island at a friend's house.  I'll be having the work done in Ft. Myers at Dan Fowler Marine.  I will request he take progress pics, but I can't guarantee that will happen.  At any rate, my buddy will gladly take pics for me when the work is complete, and I will post them here.  

Thanks for the input, gentlemen.  

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this project.  The gel coating and painting on the gunnel walls will be completed this week, hopefully.  I chose to have the original rod holders gel-coated and painted as well.  The quote was for $1000, which was more than I was expecting, but I guess that's why they say BOAT stands for Bust Out Another Thousand.  ;-)

Once that is complete, Castaway Customs will laser measure for the Seadek.  Ryan said the Seadek work should only take about 5-6 days.  Their quote was $1500.   My wife gave me the stink eye when I told her what the entire project will cost, but I think she will change her attitude when she sees it.  

I'm looking forward to it, and I will post pics of the completed job as soon as possible.  

Matt

Just an uneducated question.... why go through the work of gelcoating the area if you are putting seadek over it? Could you not remove the old carpet adhesive, sand it, clean it and install the seadek and save a good chunk of change instead of finishing an area that won’t be seen.

looking to replace the carpet in my rod lockers as well so I’ve been looking at different options

Hi SouthernWake,

The Seadek requires a smooth surface to adhere to, so the choices were either gel-coat or some sort of epoxy coating over the raw fiberglass beneath the carpet before the Seadek is installed.  

If you look closely at the first HPX pic I posted above, there are small areas of the hull visible around the edges of the Seadeck on the gunnel walls.  I prefer that look over covering the entire area in Seadek, hence my choice to gel-coat first.  

My plan on the rod holders is to retain a few scraps of Seadek to apply just to the surfaces that the rods rest on, instead of wrapping a continuous piece of carpet like the factory did.  

I hope that helps,

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Update.  

The gel coating took longer than anticipated, but I'm being told it turned out great, so I didn't mind the wait.  

I've been very impressed with Castaway Custom's professionalism and customer service.  They sent a tech to laser measure for the Seadek the day they got confirmation the gel-coating was complete.  I received the layout below and their official quote the day after.  I initially questioned why the middle and forward gunwale mats didn't show a space for the forward rod holders, but was assured that was just a scaling quirk with the drawing program.  

The Seadek should be cut this week, and installed the first part of next week.  I requested to have the installer photograph the completed job, and I will share those as soon as I can.  

Can't wait!!

Matt

Screen%20Shot%202018-07-17%20at%2010.55.40%20AM.png

• 3 weeks later...

Finally!!  The Seadeck installation had a few hiccups.  They cut 2 panels with the texture in the wrong direction, which caused a week delay.  They also had to return to adhere a few corner/edges that had started to lift.  I hope that isn't a on-going problem.  

Otherwise, I'm very pleased with the project, and I think it was a worthwhile upgrade.  Let me know what you think.  Sorry about the rotated pics, Im not sure how to change that

Matt

IMG_3516.JPEG

IMG_3517.JPEG

IMG_3520.JPEG

IMG_3518.JPEG

IMG_3519.JPEG

IMG_3520.JPEG

IMG_3516.JPEG

IMG_3517.JPEG

On 8/8/2018 at 9:39 AM, Colorado Matt said:

Finally!!  The Seadeck installation had a few hiccups.  They cut 2 panels with the texture in the wrong direction, which caused a week delay.  They also had to return to adhere a few corner/edges that had started to lift.  I hope that isn't a on-going problem.  

Otherwise, I'm very pleased with the project, and I think it was a worthwhile upgrade.  Let me know what you think.  Sorry about the rotated pics, Im not sure how to change that

Matt

IMG_3516.JPEG

IMG_3517.JPEG

IMG_3520.JPEG

IMG_3518.JPEG

IMG_3519.JPEG

IMG_3520.JPEG

IMG_3516.JPEG

IMG_3517.JPEG

that's Claire's old skiff....did you buy it from her....been a long time...she is an incredible photographer and dis-appeared from the forum....

Great look BTW......

dc

On 8/10/2018 at 5:25 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

that's Claire's old skiff....did you buy it from her....been a long time...she is an incredible photographer and dis-appeared from the forum....

Great look BTW......

dc

Thanks for the compliments, guys.  

I  bought the boat from Claire's crazy cuban ex-husband, after they divorced.  I never got to meet Claire, but If I did,  I'd thank her for taking good care of her boat.  ;-)

Matt

Archived