Considering 1998 Hewes Bayfisher 19ft 4 in

TicTac

I have an opportunity to buy a 1998 Hewes Bayfisher with a 2012 Mercury 150. It has two power poles, jackplate, Minn Kota Riptide remote Trolling motor, Aluminum trailer, hydraulic steering. The bottom is pretty scratched up from oyster reefs and the power pole cracked the rear transom where mounted. The guy wants$7,000 and I am seriously debating buying this just cause it’s a deal. The boat has been “painted” not gelcoated. Just not sure if I am getting way over my head here. Gash on the side is pretty nasty too. It’s a tunnel hull and would work well in Louisiana for specs and reds. Thoughts???

FDD59654-1069-42E2-B742-0900C17C5964.jpeg

CC873AFC-9AFF-40D2-9252-BC45CB2684EF.jpeg

2DB47111-4D8E-40D6-8B8E-890FFF2AA078.jpeg

Looks like a major project to me...if you wanna fish anytime soon you may wanna keep looking:)

However, somebody does need to bring that one back from the brink if at all possible.  I love a good Winter project but if it were me I’d first have somebody I trusted survey it just to see if it requires anything major besides some glass work, gelcoat, wiring, gas tank, hydraulic steering reseal, engine overhaul, lower unit reseal, new pumps, etc...

I have it at a Marine yard getting a buyers inspection as we speak. As we were trying to get the hours on the engine he found the starter doesn’t work. That’s after he had to disassemble the cowling. I have a boat now I can use to fish and was hoping longer term if the price was attractive enough to start going forward. I really like the walk around gunnels and the engine is worth around $7,000-8,000 according to NADA. These boats are like $50k new and I ain’t that into flats fishing with three kids getting ready to go to college. I was quoted $800 to repair the transom and $400 for the gash. The owner of the marine shop in austin said he would stay away from it since it needs a lot of attention but anything near this engine with all the goodies is $15-20k used. I was thinking $6,500 after it runs with $2,500 left to get it back to fishability. Not perfect. Winter I can decide what’s next. 

$2500 can evaporate pretty quickly and don’t forget the trailer will likely need rebuilt.

I’d be interested to hear if the survey supports the Austin Marine Shop owner’s advice to stay away.  

My problem would be once I got started it’s a slippery slop and I’d drop so much cash on it that I’d never be able to recoupe it...

Ok stay with me:

2 Power Poles = $3,000

Minn Kota 80lb Riptide Remote Control TM= $1,800

Lowrance GPS Fishfinder - $500 minimum

Aluminum Trailer = $2,000 (see torsion pics) needs wheels and new tires yes

Hydraulic Steering - $1000

Trim Tabs-$800

infinity stereo blue tooth -$300

2012 Mercury 150 - $7,000

JackPlate-$800

all of the extras alone are sucking me in!

9FBE269E-C353-4CB5-B54C-6DE4C9A069ED.jpeg

AF0381D4-3852-4B08-9B48-6EE4317C7A02.png

AF391E8C-9A52-475B-ADD2-56B0B3BB5AC1.jpeg

I know Captain, I love this look in a boat! That poling platform to see those reds in the Louisiana marsh. Plus those walk around gunnels for when I get hooked up. Great looking boat and I’m really wanting to replace my 14ft Carolina Skiff. I need a mouthpiece and rain gear when cruising in that thing, ugh. 

Are you certain the hull was painted?  The console is definitely painted but based on the scratches on the bottom and the way it wore the hull looks like gel coat.  The tunnel version is no where near as popular as the V and they didn't make all that many.  I would say the boat is worth around 12-13k in really good condition.  I hear your point about all the accessories adding up but none of them mean squat if the hull isn't sound.  I would really look it over well (inside and out) and try and have a couple different glass guys give you estimates.  Don't forget to check compression and overall inspection of that merc.  BTW those torsions look pretty rough.  Good luck

If you really want it I would offer him $5k.

Then take your current budget for the repairs/restoration and triple it and take your anticipated timeline to complete the project and double it. If you are still interested after doing the math then go for it, but if you feel yourself getting a little nauseous step away. 

BTW the most important thing you can do right now is make sure the hull is sound.. 

3 minutes ago, TicTac said:

The boat is worth $12-13,000? Does that include the motor and extras or is that just the hull? Thanks for clarifying! 

I mean a boat is worth what someone is willing to pay but the going rate is around 12-13 for a lappy (that includes all the accessories).  The somewhat newer power helps but its a merc and shy's away a large number of buyers (Yamaha lovers) 

The owner said he paid $25k three years ago and still owes $6,500 at the bank. Gotta figure out how to negotiate $4-5k if he still owes more. I left the boat at the surveyors and he is having to put a new starter on it for $500 which the owner is paying for out of pocket. 

I agree. The boat was being fished out of Corpus Christi by two 25 yr old “guides” for 2-3 years. I see the guide pics on the website so that story checks out. Hurricane Harvey hit last fall and he swears it wasn’t involved. I would contact his insurance carrier to inquire about any claims before paying. If he doesn’t allow that then it’s a deal breaker for me. 

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

The owner said he paid $25k three years ago and still owes $6,500 at the bank. Gotta figure out how to negotiate $4-5k if he still owes more. I left the boat at the surveyors and he is having to put a new starter on it for $500 which the owner is paying for out of pocket. 

Just because he overpaid doesn't mean you have too.  Plenty of Lappys and similar boats around.  I would stick to a fair price for both parties.  If he owes the bank more than its worth that's his problem. 

TicTac, that boat isnt a 7k boat IMO.  You can do way better than that for 7k.  dont be swayed by great equipment on a bad platform.   It is the equivalent of buying a wrecked BMW with a blown head gasket because it has a great sound system, fancy rims, and a reputable brand name.

Brand is only good in the general sense, but doesnt trump the condition and history of an individual boat.  And equipment doesn't offset hull damage especially if there is any risk of it being structural.  And that boat looks like it has structural issues.  

Trust me, I speak from experience of having made these mistakes.  There are much better boats for your 7k.   

Archived