Scallop Season 2018

We are fortunate enough to live part time in Homosassa. Should be an exciting 4July week. A few places still have some rooms available, but closing up fast.

Some Homosassa news for those who visit and launch around here........

The Halls River bridge project is still not finished to the point of two way traffic across. Come very early to Riverhaven Marine launch, or mid morning, and you should be OK, based on last year. The ramp is open 24 hours a day, with the honor system envelopes in place until the attendants arrive.

They are hoping to open the new Tiki Bar across from McRae’s. Looks really nice with lots of new docks and buildings. Access is from Halls River Road, or boat.

There’s a BIG push to stop the throwing of scallop shells in the river and canals. A lot of signs all over and rumors that an enforceable ordinance will be in place for next year if the education programs don’t work. The shells cover the sea grasses and kill it. That limits the food for Manatees and filtration. Put in garbage for collection. Also hurts like h*ll when when you step on them. The “cleaners” should be up and down the river on pontoons and docks. Then you don’t have to worry about it.

Be patient and remember there will be a lot of rookie boat operators going out. A lot in rental pontoons. Drive defensively and be safe.

Lets have fun!

M

18 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

Planning on going Sunday July 1st opening weekend out of Crystal River launching at Pete's pier. We will have 3 boats together going up for the day then headed to the springs to relax. Anyone else planning on heading up for opening weekend?

Hmmmmm.... sounds tempting.  Are you planning to get a hotel room that night (after scalloping)?  And I wonder if local hotels will allow truck/boat/trailer parking.

1 hour ago, pondfisher said:

Hmmmmm.... sounds tempting.  Are you planning to get a hotel room that night (after scalloping)?  And I wonder if local hotels will allow truck/boat/trailer parking.

I am not. I take US19 up first thing in the morning and get to Petes around 730, then take Veterans back to avoid the 19 traffic. Usually head home around 4

For those of you using Pete's, it is under new ownership. The new owners are hoping to have all of the pot holes in the parking lot filled in by July 1 and make some major improvements to the facilities over the next few months. Duke energy has a barge there now putting some new power poles up to the house on the little island to the north. Sounds like they are going to clean the place up which is good news!

My plan is to drive up from ORL Sunday morning to Pete’s in CR as usual. Usually get to the ramp at 715. We are then staying at the Hampton Sunday night so we can go out Monday. The Hampton allows boat parking. 

If you see a pathfinder pulling a pathfinder that’s me and anyone is welcome to follow. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2018 at 4:23 PM, linesider 159 said:

Planning a trip for this Sunday! Launching out of crystal river

I was in crystal river Saturday and Sunday and did really well, due west of the Ozello marker.  We had our limit in an hour in 6’ of water.  Going back to plantation inn the 20-22 if anyone will be around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The shallow scallops seem to pretty well picked over but bigger. We found most in 6-8 feet. When you find 'em on top of the grass, get down and hover just above and look deeper in the grass. You'd be surprised at how many are deeper in the grass. Out of Crystal River, there were 2 distinct groups, one shallow and one deeper. We worked from the deep group to the shallow group and had just shy of 2 qts in 3 hours. Great time and everyone seemed pretty respectful this year.

FWC is everywhere. We saw half a dozen heading out of the river when we were heading in, around 1pm. Don't give 'em a reason to poke and prod; fly your diver down flag, don't be under power when you are flying, keep your swimmers/divers within legal range of the boat, etc.

Good luck, stay safe, and have fun!

Archived