Charleston down the east coast of Florida

cdmoore91

The wife and I are wanting to take a little road trip from Charleston down the east coast Florida in the next two weeks. Friday-Wednesday type of deal. No plans to go anywhere and in no rush. We just want to do something different than our normal vacation we do every year. 

What would he be some good places to stop and hang out for a day up and down the coast? We don't want to stay somewhere for longer than a day. We're just trying to point the truck south and go where ever the road takes us. 

Any my suggestions on places to stay and hangout for a day? Or things that are a must do? Looking for any and everything. Not trailering the boat. Although I wouldn't mind getting an inshore charter for one of the days we are down there. 

This is our last trip as a family of two before we welcome our first child into the world in October! 

Any suggestions would be awesome! TIA

9 hours ago, cdmoore91 said:

I know destin isn't on the east coast but the wife mentioned it. Worth the drive?

Destin is a tourist and traffic madhouse this time of year! However, the beaches are beautiful and the Gulf is clear. If you decide to fish I can point you in the right direction. I would suggest Navarre Beach as an alternative. 

If you are going west toward  Destin, then continue down the west coast to Sarasota, Ringling Bros museum and mansion . Very interesting, further down the coast is gasparilla Inn and Boca grand. Wonderful resort from the old days,but in perfect restored  condition..  There is fishing all along the west coast.  Lots of choices.

My wife and I always hit St Simons on the way down to St Pete.  Always stayed there overnight and always enjoyed it.  

If you do the same, I would recommend dinner at Coastal Kitchen, very nice little restaurant at an upscale-ish Marina with great views, white table cloths, and great food.  We were impressed with the quality of the food every time we went there.  Sounds like a dive from the name, but I would describe it as comfortably upscale and great to treat your wife to.

Also on St Simons is a BBQ joint featured on DDD called "Southern Soul".... or if you like pizza, try Sal's Pizza.....or fancier , try Halyards or even go to Sea Island.  St Simons is a very neat small island. Nice beaches and some shopping on beachside for the ladies.  It's 75 miles South of Savannah....and about the same North of Jacksonville Fla.  .. good luck, JJ

I just came from a Charleston vacation and we stopped at Fernandina beach, Florida and stayed at the seaside hotel (free breakfast) on the beach. About two miles down the road is Amelia island ( I think) which has a cobblestone road and quaint little stores to walk around and see. Ft Clinch state park was about a 1/2 mile from us which was pretty neat as we scouted out some camping sites and saw the fort. Very laid back town.

9 hours ago, triplec said:

Holler if you end up in St Aug and need some restaurant or accommodation info. Getting lil summer crazy here already too though.  Congrats on the new arrival to be!

X2 

it’s actually pretty slow right now and a good time to visit ! 

Heading South:  

Jekyl Island - ride bikes around the whole island.  If you catch a deal stay at the Inn and take in the history.  

Fernando Beach - boat tour is not touristy..around to the Fort and back.  south AIA take the ferry at Mayport. 

St Augustine - arts and history.    Leave heading east /south using A1A.  Washington State Park.  Mantansas Inlet.

Daytona Beach - because why not, for some reason its 'the most famous beach in the world"

NASA Space Center (Titusville).  Take the bus tour. go to new building exhibits.  

Cocoa Beach - well just because it's time for a beach day.. tarpon should be in the surf.. then back on to 95 and north bound you go.

If you need guide links in east Central Fl. post and I'll send you some.  

Archived