Small Swim Platform on an 18’ Redfisher?

Nolezone

If I jump overboard to cool off or some other need, I’ll have to grab hold of my poling platform frame, find a place to put my foot on the engine and struggle to get back aboard. Has anyone added a swim platform to their 18’ Hewes, Maverick or Pathfinder? There isn’t a whole lot of space to do it and I’m thinking it would probably have to be a totally custom fabrication.

On a related subject, how do I get my 98lb Black Lab back on board if she goes overboard for any reason? I don’t think I’d have enough leverage to pull her back aboard, even with a vest with a handle. 

Thoughts?

You probably won't find many swim platforms for Hewes or Mav's, not saying there not out there but people don't usually install them since these are fishing boats. If you do install one make sure it is slotted platform to allow water to go through it when sitting still or fishing. A solid platform will slap on the water scaring anything around for hundreds of yards.  

• 2 weeks later...

generally, these are the procedures for inshore boat re entry after falling in:

1)  inflate pfd

2) engage personal electonic beacon

3) Assume a horizontal position to maintain maximum boyancy 

4) Await rescue by helicopter or rescue vessel

When you get tired of that, stand up, walk back to your boat that is usually floating in 2' of water, and climb in.  Tell no one anout the incident, regardless of the number of beers consumed later.

The procedues are different for offshore boats, so check back in for those of you buy one.  

;)

:D OK, you hooked me. I was all set to say "What a spaz...does he really think I'm that stupid" until I read the whole post. My brother in law would qualify for this for sure! I'm pretty sure I could pull myself back up in an emergency using the poling platform. But getting my 100# Black Lab back aboard is something I worry about. I've seen some nice doggie ladders but they all seem to only attach to swim platforms hence, my search for some possibilities. Here are a couple pix of the type of platforms I'm looking for. Need to find a fabricator here in Jacksonville, Florida who can do this on a Hewes 18 RF.

5b19b355a2a5b_ScreenShot2018-06-07at4_22_04PM.png.6090f9a0d582afca9d686ac668c26ef3.png

5b19b3962747c_ScreenShot2018-06-07at4_23_26PM.png.eb79e166dc464abfc5d99adf11bdd6ed.png

5 hours ago, Nolezone said:

So if swim platforms on Hewes boats are rare, how do you get back in if you DO fall or jump overboard?

I like Whichwaysup's response xD.  All kidding aside, here's a no-frills ladder that I was thinking about mounting on my Redfisher.  It can be mounted on a boat without a jack plate as well.  I use my boat on deep lakes so the "stand up and climb aboard" option doesn't apply, lol.

https://thmarinesupplies.com/products/twist-step-emergency-jack-plate-ladder

Archived