MA 17 1995: large access hatches bilge - anyone install? Pics? Size?

Wanaflatsfish

A Jim Black 11x23 will not fit. Next size down, JB 11x19 I believe will. Th also has one that will fit but it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack to order. Jim.Black is a better made hatch. Thread in the general section about it.

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been pretty incommunicado recently.

Chillin, I used normal clear RTV to seal the bottom of the hatch frame with a little extra on the area where the old pie plate resided. In the big scheme of things though I really didn't want to use something as permanent as 5200 (just in case I wanted to replace the hatch in the future) and really didn't get too picky, since the water would simply go into the bilge.

WFF, There's an enormous amount of room to work in there now. Everyone knows the livewell pumps tend to go out when you need them the most. I've replaced pumps and donr some on-the-fly rewiring with the old hatch and let me tell you, the bilge cleanup with the new hatch was amazingly easier. My bilge isn't as clean as most but the wires are all service looped (for any future projects), the pumps are freshen'd up, and the petcocks all work as advertised.

20180603_173536.jpg

20180603_173549.jpg

20180603_173601.jpg

I am rewiring my MA18 and seem to find problems (thru hull fittings, pumps switch panel etc) as I go, but they all seem fixable and I will have a sound boat and know exactly where everything comes from and goes to when I get done. I had only a 9" pie hole SO I drew a line 1.5 inches from the edges of the splash well and removed the entire thing except the lip. I replaced/made a hatch from starboard, form fitted it for drains and slope of the front part of the splash well. I have a couple of ideas for the seal, will fasten the hatch with screws or latches "TBD" and install a small inspection port in the starboard. I think I will make my seal from pure silicone  which I use to make molds for pouring rubber baits. I have removed a lot of these molds form their forming boxes so I think I have a good handle on not gluing the hatch to the flange! :-) :-)

I also removed my console completely. If you do this I hope yours is not glued down with 5200 beside the umpteen screws on the base!

9 hours ago, tidewater said:

I am rewiring my MA18 and seem to find problems (thru hull fittings, pumps switch panel etc) as I go, but they all seem fixable and I will have a sound boat and know exactly where everything comes from and goes to when I get done. I had only a 9" pie hole SO I drew a line 1.5 inches from the edges of the splash well and removed the entire thing except the lip. I replaced/made a hatch from starboard, form fitted it for drains and slope of the front part of the splash well. I have a couple of ideas for the seal, will fasten the hatch with screws or latches "TBD" and install a small inspection port in the starboard. I think I will make my seal from pure silicone  which I use to make molds for pouring rubber baits. I have removed a lot of these molds form their forming boxes so I think I have a good handle on not gluing the hatch to the flange! :-) :-)

I also removed my console completely. If you do this I hope yours is not glued down with 5200 beside the umpteen screws on the base!

Can  you post some pics of what you did?

dc

Archived