Sign in to follow this  
jaco2

birdsall backrest

thinking about installing a birdsall backrest on my old 17ma. what size should i get? and what size arms? 9" or 16" ?  

I have the 16 but have the large seat cushion. Think the 9 is too short if you have 3" or better on seat. 

DSC_1148.jpg

I personally like the "FishOn" seats with the full backrests...

but, if you already have the cushion...nothing more you can do other than a birdsall.

good quality and fair pricing.

dc

9 I find perfect , if you use live well or move around the taller is waaaayyyy too tall.  I'm 6'1 220 it hits me just right in lower backer when seated. 

I just added a TACO marine folding backrest. The arms fold up so that you can store the backrest when not in use. I actually bought the bracket arms and I had the backrest made to match the seat cushions that were just done. They install with two 15 degree rod holders that serve as... "rod holders" when the backrest is not in use  I looked at the Birdsall but the elbows were too big to store easily. 

image.png.b171f4d50a0d86058feb4cdd67a5679c.png

How far it sticks up is relative to the depth of the rod holder. On my boat, the lower area of the cushion is about 9" off of the deck. Fits great right at the middle of my back. You can lower it by cutting down your tube length too.  My main issue was to be able to remove it and fold the legs up to store it while fishing.