On board charger

East Coast Dave

I knew I shouldn't have got on this thread. The Mav's charger just to a C**P yesterday afternoon. I reported wrong above as well. I have a Powermania on that boat, 2 1/2 years old. I think back to MinnKota and try the Precision 3 bank charger. $50 rebate until 5/31. If you google it you can get it for $265 on line.

I am running a Powermania, for me it was important that I had a waterproof charger, one that would charge each profile and one that would charge on low AC input power. For example, if you're at a small hotel down in the end unit and there are half dozen boats between you and the front door you "may" be getting 100 volts AC, then you hang an extension chord of 25' that plugs into the onboard.  About that time your AC line loss could be down another couple of volts, most chargers won't work at or below those levels, Powermania will put out 100% power at 90 VAC....  And it'll recharge a dead battery.  

Now allow me to qualify, I also am the manufacturers rep for that charger brand...  but they do work well and better than most, but certainly use what you are most comfortable with...

On 6/4/2018 at 4:59 PM, MuddyBottomBluz said:

DaveC; the Minn Kota has a "Low Line Voltage Compensator" as well to deliver a constant charge at lower supply voltages. Like I said everything has pros & cons. Powermania was my second choice.

To your point, ever fish a big tournament and see 25 boats on trailers all being charged at the hotel?  That is this feature is important.

2 minutes ago, F1sh0n said:

To your point, ever fish a big tournament and see 25 boats on trailers all being charged at the hotel?  That is this feature is important.

I should add it’s more of a sparkly boat issue, but everyone has roots.

On 5/27/2018 at 6:33 AM, East Coast Dave said:

I always open the hatch where the charger is located and leave it open while charging.  Something a buddy told me to do very early on and I've always gave done thus and it's served me pretty well. 

Yeah....check your console in the winter....I used to leave my big Pathfinder console door cracked open about 1/4 of the way....I jumped up on the deck, disconnected the cord and reached inside to check the switch or something, and then had the hell scared out of me when a large cat screamed....yeah, that was fun at zero dark thirty....

I guess the cat enjoyed the warm 4 bank minkotta in the cool air :)

dc

Archived