On board charger

East Coast Dave

47 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

I have a genius on the Maverick and it runs real hot. Too hot for me but genius says normal. I had the Minn Kota on the other Mav and it was bullet proof. I will be interested in what you select.

Stealth chargers put out very little heat.

11 hours ago, East Coast Dave said:

Looking for suggestions for a new onboard charger for my Maverick. My Guest died last weekend and I've always had them but thinking there has to be some improvements I technology etc.  I'm only using it for the two trolling motor blue top batteries. Thanks again!

I like Powermania as it has a internal fan and runs cool. I am charging a 24v system for trolling motor and starting/house battery and am pleased with the time it takes to refresh the batteries.

3 hours ago, East Coast Dave said:

What is the difference in a 4 amp per bank vs 10 amp?  Is it the time it takes to recharge?  I looked at a Genius charger on line and it appears this is the only difference between the two other than the price. 

Yes, it's time of recharge. Be careful with some of these charges, make sure they are designed to handle agm or whatever type of batts you have. Many a boat has been burned up by a charger malfunction.

2 hours ago, Headhunter said:

I have a genius on the Maverick and it runs real hot.

Yes they do.  I have one on mine.  I can tell you they have great customer service and there is a reason I know.  First one I had lasted about a year and I'm getting ready to send the second on back.  All within about a 3 year span. 

4 hours ago, Headhunter said:

I have a genius on the Maverick and it runs real hot. Too hot for me but genius says normal. I had the Minn Kota on the other Mav and it was bullet proof. I will be interested in what you select.

Are you back in the house and back to normal?  Thanks I was th inking on looking at Minn Kota. 

Dave, If you charge your batteries overnight, then a 4 amp per battery will work just fine. But, if you need a faster charge, then the 10 amp is best. I charge overnight (two trolling motor batteries and house battery) and never had a problem.

My 2013 boat came with a Duel Pro. It's located in a compartment that gets very little air circulation, and failed in about one year. I replaced it with a Guest and that on lasted about a year also. Then I installed a Powermania with the internal fan. It's still going strong.

7 hours ago, East Coast Dave said:

Are you back in the house and back to normal?  Thanks I was th inking on looking at Minn Kota. 

Dave,

yes, back in the house and about 99% done. Getting ready to actually go fishing this weekend between rain showers. It;s been a bitch!

Just replaced my Dual Pro with another one. After 14 years one bank went out and I used it that way for a while. Finally got tired of charging one battery separately so went back with the same charger. Can't beat 14 years and still running on two of the three banks. 

We wall mount computers and electronics often, in the business I'm in.  It's always a good idea stack a couple washers or a spacer on the screws between the device and the wall, so there is at least a 1/8" gap to allow some air flow, which helps keep the device cooler.  Electronics and computer processors do not operate properly or last very long when overheated.

Archived