Bubba B

ALL QUIET AT THE MOMENT

ILM is cut off. EMS can only get people via helicopter. Fuel is running out and all roads leading in are submerged, washed out or just gone. Still no power for the foreseeable future. I’m glad I evacuated but it would be nice to get home to start rebuilding 

I removed some of the superfluous maps from the site and added additional close in radar loops. I was hoping my agency would take volunteers and send a team north. Everyone stay safe!!

17 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

They are now literally telling folks to drive around sc and nc.  Like don't go through the states at all!

Well with 120 miles of I95 officially closed now, there is no way to safely cross the Cape Fear River Basin from north of Fayetteville all the way to the coast. Everyone within a mile of the basin has a mandatory evacuation, with record flooding on the way. 

Charlotte area and north is getting a ton of rain today, parts of I85 and I74 are now flooding. So every major north/south route is compromised until almost the NC/TN border.

I am headed east to the coast tomorrow, staying north of the Neuse River Basin. Hoping for the best.

We still can’t get home. Just got a call and power back on at our place @ 7:03 this evening. We usually get it back quick  do to being on the same grid as the back gate of Lejeune. No water due to water main break near Swansboro. We lost today changing from motel in Elizabeth City to Williamston. Had a very bad situation up there this morning. Had to walk away and get my wife emotionally glued back together. It was ugly.  Will be contacting Choice Hotels Corp. tomorrow. 

NCTribute I don’t know were you are headed but it is tough to to move or blocked around Kinston, New Bern, Beaufort, Morehead, Trenton, Pollocksville, Maysville, Jacksonville, Lejeune, Swansboro and down east. I’m hearing most rivers ( Trent, Neuse, New, Tar, White Oak) in these parts are cresting Monday/Tuesaday. Let me know if I can help w/ road info. Again I am sitting In Williamston and can't get to Swansboro. We are hoping for Tuesday. 

Stay Safe      Be Patient     Day by Day

• Like 1

Charlotte area is wet and wild, but recovering quickly. I never lost power, luckily. Not sure how we can help our coastal pals at the moment. Stay tuned. 

On 9/15/2018 at 9:51 AM, bernieNC said:

Fake news!

This is exactly why I don not watch news...I went through Andrew back in 92 in Homestead and I cannot stand Jim Cantore for what he did and what all other reporters now do....they put peoples lives at risk because now people think they can do the same...  NC boys...Hang in there, it will get better, still praying for ya.....

Was able to make it to Oriental, NC yesterday. Made out ok, all things considered. All the insulation and duct work will need to be torn out and replaced. Did have some wet carpets from water getting forced up through the registers. One area is still kind of a mystery as to where the water came from, but with the house boarded up it is hard to really see well. Few water marks on some ceilings.

Compared to what others are having to deal with, this falls more into the inconvenience category. So feel pretty lucky.

Unbelieveable at some of the things we saw. Had what have to be 300-400 lb granite boulders, from our bulkhead, in the grass 10-20 yds from the bulkhead. Miles of power lines down, grain silos were thrown around like tin cans. Cement hog slat docks were no match for this storm, where normally they survive. Several houses were just skeletons, with literally no walls. Water is really, really scary when it gets pushed around like this.

The news is concentrating on New Bern, which got very serious flooding. The smaller towns along the inter coastal got it at least as bad, they had much more exposure to the wind, but do not seem to be getting the media attention nor the emergency help. 

• Like 1

WOW!  What an unbelievable report.   Sorry for your damage, but all in all, you are still around to fix it back!  That is the most important thing!   Hope we hear some better reports from some of the other NC guys! 

• Like 1

Headed home at first light. If trying to negotiate high water, curfews and power outage was not bad enough now I have to hope I don’t get caught up In the President’s dog and pony show when we pass by Cherry Point. Things could get interesting if we are stopped by the Secret Service with the load we are carrying.

• Like 2

Were rolling back tomorrow. The infrastructure isn’t quite there yet to support everyone. I know it’s getting better but a curfew isn’t exactly ideal... 

Good to hear, nah, keep me posted. We will likely head home this weekend.  I have to have internet to work, and that isn't up yet, but power is on.  We may delay further, but playing it one day at a time.   Our house had no major damage, no flooding according to the neighbors.  

Got to figure out how to get in from the West though.

Here is a link showing the area around Oriental, has some of the things we witnessed. There at many more houses with severe damage not captured here.

https://towndock.net/news/oriental-after-florence

Those attempting to head back, be safe, wear gloves and boots. Wash your hands often and be aware of your surroundings for some of the evil critters hiding in the wreckage. Bug spray will be needed, the mosquitoes will be out with a vengeance.