MBC copied hulls ??

HoneyB

Saw a boat listed in Savannah as a Hewes copy. I have not followed MBC boats for too long so I was wondering if this was common for some of there popular hulls. I know a lot of good boats have been copied over the years just wondering how common you guys think it is with your boat builder of choice. 

2F4536AA-08F9-41EE-99F2-595886E3838F.jpeg

There have been a few fly by night companies that have splashed molds off of MBG boats.  That picture looks like an Ocean Runner.  V-Tech is another lappy copy.  Blazer Bay is a 22 Pathfinder copy, Proline had a 22 that didn't have liner, pretty sure its a splashed Pathfinder also.  There were a few 18 Maverick copies back in the day.  None have lasted long besides Blazer Bay (Bay Boat Craze). 

2 hours ago, FLDXT said:

I imagine there may be some legal issues with that......see Yellowfin vs Barker.

I don’t think that held up. Plus I work with a guy on his 4th or 5th yellowfin and says he’s in the know. He claims that suit was more over stuff that happened off the field rather than on it if you get it...

I also think it would be very ironic if it was for copying hulls because the yellowfin is rumored to be very much based off of a Conch  

I think MBC sued proline for copying the Pathfinder 22 and i don’t know how it ended up but they quit making them ...

I think a small portion of hull can be changed and it’s game on. Think about how many 23-25 CC’s are running around SoFl that have a sea craft 23 or formula 233 pedigree 

That’s a pretty boat.  Somewhere read article quoting Scott about asking permission from a builder to use part of a design.  .  Back in the day a lot of the early skiffs were copied, stretched, shortened, modified etc.    Probably still happens, but way back it was kind of expected, kind of a compliment and led to improved hulls.  

Archived