Gunwale rod holders for pathfinder 19'

Capt Jimbo

I am the recent owner of a 2001 19' pathfinder. Was very disappointed to discover the "lip" design of the gunwale, in terms of ability to install rod holders along the gunwale. It does not appear as if there is enough hull clearance under the gunwale for even a straight (zero degree) rod holder to fit. I wrote to Pathfinder and asked for the spacing specs, and was told that "we don't have them", and told "to drill a hole to find out".  Which I find incredibly hard to believe. If they don't have that information, then who possibly could? Then I found this discussion group. I know someone out there has already wrestled with, and solved this problem, and I am desperately asking for any guidance, suggestions, directions, before I resort to "drilling holes to find out..."

You can install the smaller rod holders.. 15 degree.  The space between the hull and liner is tight, and the floatation foam can get in the way..  You have to angle the rodholder so it will fit. The ones installed by the factory back then had tubes to drain water into the bilge past the foam.

On my 2004 1900, I had two installed by the Dealer.. Lindsay Marine in Stuart.

Marc

Marc,

Thanks for the advise. I'm left wonder if the hull design is the same for a 2004, as a 2001? Also, you've given me an idea. I just discovered that there is a Pathfinder dealer fairly close. Think that I will ask them as well, and if they may undertake the task. While I have installed my share of rod holders, I'm (admittedly) not the most precise.

Was even contemplating using an above gunwale rod holder (aka) Scotty. Have never used them before, and was wondering what / if anyone had any comments about them? The one advantage to them is that the mount is flush to the gunwale and removable, so that you could only install them when/as you needed them. Can anyone speak to using this this of rod holder?

I pulled up some google photos of the 2001 1900s.. The gunwales do look narrower, and I didn't see any rod holders installed on those boats.. Handrails, but no rod holders.

Spot-on, Smilemaker !

Still doesn't help you Capt. Jimbo.   The Scotty's rod holders are fine for light rods when anchored up.  They don't have the rod storage and trolling benefits.

Seasucker makes some rod holder sets that you can mount, move around and take off.

See the source image

I did it. 15* gemlux holders fit perfect. Install doesn’t allow for much error but they can be done. Pretty sure I posted a pic of the measurement on this topic before... maybe Mr Mod can help you look for it. 

Edit: found em....here are pics I used to install mine. The gunnel is 6” wide and center of rod holder is 1” in from center .  You feel like it’s too far in - the rod holder almost sits against interior liner - but this is what works because of the rolled gunnels  

BE2B2A2C-EC33-4426-9FC9-326551A15A4C.png

18A6EAFF-B5CD-4015-ACC7-E73EFCBEAC74.png

• Like 1

Justfish,

Thanks so much for the response, advise, and more importantly the pix. I do much better seeing things.

You have have just saved me. I saw steps away from ordering surface mounted holders. But, what you've done looks perfect, and the measurement advise is spot on.

Thank you, thank you... Looks like I've got (another ) boat project to tackle!

Stay tuned, I will report back with results. (Pray for my incapable soul...)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...