New 505 lb Mercury V8 4 strokes

J.N

16 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

That has to be dry weight, the Evinrude  e-tec 300 is 539 pounds so after all the fluids they would probably weigh in the same. If Merc can pull off that power to weight ratio in a 4 stroke and it ends up having good reliability, everyone better look out. Not to mention pricing! 

also has an asterisk saying lightest model available.

6 hours ago, smooth move said:

also has an asterisk saying lightest model available.

Mercury will offer that motor with a bunch of different configurations. The lightest model will be the 20" mid with cable throttle and shift.  

5 hours ago, palmetto1 said:

I thought ProXS were 2 strokes must have changed or maybe that was the Optimax Pro XS.  

The Mercury 2 strokes have been phased out. I think it had something to do with California?   

2 hours ago, Tarpon1215 said:

In a year we will see how this all shakes out! Great idea and greater engineering.

Hopefully my old hpdi keeps running until the new mercury's have been proven. After a family member has had some issues with his newer yamaha 300's I'm thinking hard about a new Merc.   Low hour motors shouldn't have heavy carbon buildup that causes low compression and rusted out hardware. 

Take a look at this for the new Merc's!  https://www.boatingmag.com/new-mercury-marine-verado-fourstroke-and-pro-xs-outboards-v-6-and-v-8-models-from-175-300hp  Color options! My brother in law (Master Mechanic for every company that owned Evinrude Johnson since the late 70's and still to this day) told me that the color of outboards was sacred! Easily identifiable just by color back in the day, and manufacturers did not tread there, welcome to the future!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived