Trim Tab Leaking Into Bilge

I had been experiencing some water leaking into the bilge (need to run bilge pump often!). During some dock time this week, I decided to pop open my rectangular rear bilge cover to see if any incoming water was noticeable. I was shocked to see a little current of water coming in from what appears to be the port side trim tab area. I mean, I could literally see the flowing in of the water at a rate that would sink a boat in maybe less than an hour? Scary!

I haven't had time to open up the flush mounted trim tab cover to check yet but I wondered if anyone has been through this before. I was told by a MBG representative that leaks coming from trim tabs are not uncommon. I'm fairly handy and I'm hoping I can fix whatever I find by myself with either MarineTex or some other combo resin product. Maybe a good idea to renew any corroded or nearly so butt connections.

Thanks for any advice!

7 hours ago, Nolezone said:

I had been experiencing some water leaking into the bilge (need to run bilge pump often!). During some dock time this week, I decided to pop open my rectangular rear bilge cover to see if any incoming water was noticeable. I was shocked to see a little current of water coming in from what appears to be the port side trim tab area. I mean, I could literally see the flowing in of the water at a rate that would sink a boat in maybe less than an hour? Scary!

I haven't had time to open up the flush mounted trim tab cover to check yet but I wondered if anyone has been through this before. I was told by a MBG representative that leaks coming from trim tabs are not uncommon. I'm fairly handy and I'm hoping I can fix whatever I find by myself with either MarineTex or some other combo resin product. Maybe a good idea to renew any corroded or nearly so butt connections.

Thanks for any advice!

You probably have Lencos.  You have three mounting screws and one hole that allows the power wires into the bilge.  All of these need to be sealed with marine sealant.  5200 or 4200, which ever your more comfortable using. 

Archived