Pathfinder 23 DV (not mine)

16bayfisher

• 4 months later...

I was the sucker who bought this boat.  The boat itself was awesome and had tons of potential to be a great one of a kind boat.  For $28,900 it had every chance to be a $50k boat after some TLC.  It's seller and the paperwork, on the other hand, put my patience and time to the test.  It had a Florida title attached to a Florida lien, so I could not title it, being from Florida.  Unless you personally know the seller, don't ever buy a used boat from Georgia, fellas!  Georgia is one of the weird states that do not title vessels (loophole!).  Luckily, 4 months later the broker who had the boat on consignment helped me get my money back.

So if you see this boat (now a bluish gray color) for sale, call it out as being stolen with a lien!!!

4 hours ago, Doubled26kt said:

I was the sucker who bought this boat.  The boat itself was awesome and had tons of potential to be a great one of a kind boat.  For $28,900 it had every chance to be a $50k boat after some TLC.  It's seller and the paperwork, on the other hand, put my patience and time to the test.  It had a Florida title attached to a Florida lien, so I could not title it, being from Florida.  Unless you personally know the seller, don't ever buy a used boat from Georgia, fellas!  Georgia is one of the weird states that do not title vessels (loophole!).  Luckily, 4 months later the broker who had the boat on consignment helped me get my money back.

So if you see this boat (now a bluish gray color) for sale, call it out as being stolen with a lien!!!

Strange... I’ve purchased two boats from GA.  Neither with “title”.  My Florida tag agency had no issues with a notarized bill of sale.  Sorry to hear it didn’t work out. 

4 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Strange... I’ve purchased two boats from GA.  Neither with “title”.  My Florida tag agency had no issues with a notarized bill of sale.  Sorry to hear it didn’t work out. 

I think the part that was the problem was the boat sold in Ga. had a previous FL title that was attached to a Fl. lean. So there was no way to get a clear FL title. Ga does require a bill of sale form the last registered owner but does not title a boat. Living in GA. I have often thought a person could sale a boat with a lean and then have the boat reposed from the new owner on lack of payment to the lean holder. I guess this situation proves it could happen.

The add had been up for a while before the boat was actually "available to buy"  But, yes, exactly.  Yeah my situation definitely proves it could happen.  I was trusting that the majority of people out there are trustworthy and wouldn't intentionally sell a boat knowing it had a previous lien out there.  Looks like I met the guy who isn't.  The real kicker was that the guy who holds the lien is in a GA state prison so there wasn't really a way for anyone to correct the issue.  I think the seller was trying to pass off his buddies problem, but that's just a hunch.  He was unlucky in the sense I am from FL because someone who lives in GA could potentially buy this boat without any paper problems...Until the bank who actually owns the boat comes a kockin.  I just hope it doesn't get "sold" to anyone else before the bank goes after it.  

HoneyB, we are talking about the same boat....That's why I replied to this thread when I came across it.  I was the guy who ended up buying it...or tried to anyway.  The boat went to back to Brunswick, GA where it was originally listed.  The seller who now has possession of it again lives in Eatonton, GA.  I made a couple different attempts to find how much the lien was and make a deal with the bank, but unfortunately they weren't having it, even after telling them anonymously that I had possession of it.  Knowing the history, I'd guess the debt was a big one.

Archived