Current model 22 TE vs Gen 1 22 TE

Patton222

Hey guys, looking for some feedback here.  I may be selling my current boat soon and I have a few boats I'd like to replace it with.  One of those options is a 2014+ 22 TE.  I have spent a tremendous amount of time on a friends 2004 22 TE with 200 hpdi Vmax and I've always been a big fan of the boat.  It's holding up pretty well considering he runs it hard, way harder than I would if it were mine.  I have a pretty good grasp on the running characteristics and quirks of that hull and would like to hear from someone that has spent time on both as I have never run a current production model TE.  

I really like what PF has done with the changes they have made over the years, the current generation seems like a much nicer more refined product.  But outside of the obvious changes how does the new gen run compared to the original?  Is it a more solidly built boat?  Current gen is heavier I am assuming less efficient?  Does the new gen ride better/heavier in the bay chop?  Any pros/cons I am missing?  

For or what it's worth I would most likely shop a lightly used 250 sho powered boat, but if it makes sense financially I'm not opposed to ordering one with a 200 sho and starting with a basic/clean slate I can upgrade over time just the way I want which is simple and efficient vs loaded with options.  Thank you to anyone that may have any insight on this.

Can't comment on the older models but I have one of the first 2014 models with a 200sho. It is heavier (just like a TRS compared to an older PF) and it is solid as a rock. Pluses include a better designed console, live well system and wiring. They also went to the TRS hull at that point. Fit and finish is better simply because of the newer molds. Compared to my 2008 20PF every thing is big time better. Only draw back is you can't get a 5 gallon bucket in the under deck compartments anymore and there have been issues with the switch panel. It will run 53mph light and I couldn't be more pleased.

I doubt you could go wrong with either based on how much you want to spend.

Good luck with your purchase.

IMG_0781.JPG

On 5/24/2018 at 6:58 PM, hurricane said:

I would assume the newer models don't have the wet deck issues,  like the older models do.  I believe all the newer models have 25" transom, which allows the floor to be higher. Older models have a 20" transom.  

That’s a big assumption. My 2012 , 2200 TRS would wet your feet. 

Not much experience with a 22 but love my 24trs. Great riding boat and definitely solid construction. I have a good friend with a 22te and the 24 is worth the difference  (IMO). If you are interested in talking about the 24,  feel free to reach out. 

6E0B2737-8EC4-481A-9F2E-DFF6D7EEB8AC.thumb.jpeg.fe0aec300ee522f5d5dbfa6a6d6b6303.jpeg

On 5/25/2018 at 10:40 PM, jchern said:

Not much experience with a 22 but love my 24trs. Great riding boat and definitely solid construction. I have a good friend with a 22te and the 24 is worth the difference  (IMO). If you are interested in talking about the 24,  feel free to reach out. 

6E0B2737-8EC4-481A-9F2E-DFF6D7EEB8AC.thumb.jpeg.fe0aec300ee522f5d5dbfa6a6d6b6303.jpeg

Appreciate the offer, nice ride you have there.  I keep hearing that about the 24, looks like they did a great job with the layout.  The ones I've seen for sale are a little out of reach.  I have to run the 22 before I make any decisions and will hopefully do that in the coming weeks.  

I had an 02 with a small block 200 HPDI and now have an 07 XLTEwith a big fat heavy F250. The 02 absolutely had the water in the scuppers issue when livewells loaded and a few guys in the boat. So far the 07 XL  has had had zero water come in through the scuppers. I have had the center livewell full, gear, and three of us fishing and so far it has been bone dry. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have an ‘05 and recently rode on a ‘17.  Boat feels bulkier and rides noticably softer.   They do seem built better/tougher/heavier. You can tell the sides are higher so a little less spray if you get in rough stuff but it still felt the same lengthwise as it should.  All the new fit and finish stuff is very nice and love the console/bilge access.  What I learned is I would re power mine with a SHO before I buy a new one.

8 minutes ago, ncdrew said:

I have an ‘05 and recently rode on a ‘17.  Boat feels bulkier and rides noticably softer.   They do seem built better/tougher/heavier. You can tell the sides are higher so a little less spray if you get in rough stuff but it still felt the same lengthwise as it should.  All the new fit and finish stuff is very nice and love the console/bilge access.  What I learned is I would re power mine with a SHO before I buy a new one.

I had an 02 and now have an 07 XL TE and the feel and ride even between those two are night and day.  My 07  XL feels much more substantial and rides so much better than my 02. I would love to ride in a new one for comparison sake. I imagine they ride even better. 

Archived